Toronto, (Ontario, Canada) was renamed York in 1793. Its name was changed back to Toronto in 1834. The province of Ontario was known as Upper Canada from 1791 to 1841 (with Quebec as Lower Canada). From 1841 until Confederation in 1867, it was known as Canada West (with Quebec as Canada East).
The York General Hospital opened on King Street in 1829. Today, there is no hospital there. Instead, that area is the home of the Royal Alexandra Theatre, the Princess of Wales Theatre, and the TIFF Bell Lightbox (headquarters of the Toronto International Film Festival).