Here is the passenger list of the Bevis:
The Bevis, 1638
The following Lists of New England Emigrants are from Her Majesty's State Paper Office.
Lorine's Note: This set of records consists of various passenger lists, names of individuals ready to sail to New England, and names of those taking the Oath of Allegiance (in preparation for sailing). It is not always obvious when each ship left. Researchers will have to determine whether or not a ship made more than one sailing each year it is mentioned. The original spelling has been maintained, so you will see "Landen" for "London", etc. Note that common words found are "uxor" meaning "wife", "mr" for "Master" (of the ship)
Finding the names: You can browse each list, starting with the one below (scroll down). To browse the passenger lists of all ships I have online for this 20 year period to New England see the list of all known ships that made the voyage. I hope to find passenger lists for every ship on the list, so if you have a ship list, please consider donating it to Olive Tree.
Transciber: Laura Freeman
The Bevis, May 1638, Southhampton to New England
SOUTHAMPTON.--- The list of the names of Passeng. Intended to shipe thmesleues, In the Beuist of Hampton of CL. Tonnes, Robert Batten Mr for Newengland, And thsu by vertue of the Lord Treasurers warrant of the second of May w'th was after the restrayat and they some Dayes gone to sea Before the Kinges Mat'es Proelamacon Came boto South'uon. No. of Persons.
- John ffrey Whelwrite of Basing, wife and 3 children
- Richard Austin 40 Taylor of Bishopstocke, his wife and 2 children
- Robert Knight 37 Carpenter Servant to R. Austin
- Christopher Batt 37 Tanner of Sarcum, Anna Batt 32 his Wife, Dorothis Batt 20 his Sister amd 5 children under 10 years
- Thomas Good 24 Servant, Eliza: Blackston 22 Servant, Rebecca Pond 18 Servant
- William Carpenter 62 Carpenter of Horwell, William Carpenter Jr. 33 Carpenter of Horwell, Abigael Carpenter 32 and 4 children 10 and under, Tho: Banshott 14 Servant
- Annis Littlefield 38 and 6 children, John Knight Carpenter, Hough Durdal
- Henery Byley 26 Tanner of Saru, Mary BYley 22, Tho: Reemes Servant, John Byley 20
- Richard Dum 40 of New england, Alce Dum 35, Tho: Dum 19, Joane Dum 19, Jane Dum 10 , Steephen Dum Husbandman, Dorothie Dum 6, Richard Dum 4, Tho: dum 2
- John Huthcinson 30 Carpenter, servant , ffrancis Alcocke 26 vizg, servant, Adam Moll 19 Taylor, servant , Will. Wackefeild 22 Servant , Nathaunel Parker 2- Servant of London Backer, Samuel Poore 18 Servant , Da'yell Poore 14 Servant, Alce Poore 20 Servant , Richard Bayley 15 Servant, Anna Wackefeild 20 Servant
The nomb'r of passeng'rs aboue mentioned are Sixtie and one Soules.
Tho: Wurfres Coll. And Sear' Hen: Champante Cust's. D. Dingley Compt'r
[Endorsement.]----Southotn, 1628. The sert. And list of the Passeng'rs names gone for New England in the Bevis of Hampton, in May 1638.