Trouble with WikiTree X importing profile from Ancestry

+4 votes
125 views
I've been using WikiTree X to begin the process of moving my current Ancestry Tree to WikiTree. It's worked fine until about the beginning of August or a few days later, at which time've started having the following problem when using to  importing of either a father or a child from Ancestry. Here's what happenws

1. I obtain the id on Wikitree for the person Im basing the added profile to and coppy it

2. I go to the Ancestry profile of that person, then navigate to theperson I want linked to the WikiTree profile (example, I'm adding children to their father, so I end up on the profile of a child on ancestry).

3. On ancestry, I click the WikiTree X plugin and get the infot form for Wikitree X.

4. In the form, I use the dropdown box to "child"(for the above example) as the relationship, then paste the copied ID from Wikitree for the ID(from the example here, I'm copying this child's father's ID into the field). and hit the "go" button for that option.

5. Instead of the Add profile screen appearing as usual, the profile of the entry in the box is displayed. (in the example here, that would be the father's profile.

This behaves the same way, whether I'm adding a father or a child. It also happens when trying to add a mother or child of a mother.

I've been successfule, however in adding a wife or husband. I have not tried adding a sibling.

This happens anywhere I try to add people in a parent/child relationship.

I'm used to using this app, and truly appreciate how it works. This has never happened before, and i'm wondering if I've gone crazy, or if there might be something going on with the app. If I can be of help, just let me know. I'll be happy to work with someone if that would be of use. Please help! I'm getting so close to having this first phase of my transfer done, and want to get on with making improved profiles!
in WikiTree Tech by Deborah Outland G2G6 (6.9k points)
retagged by Jamie Nelson

3 Answers

+3 votes
 
Best answer
The Chrome browser did a security update, and it broke WikiTree X. We are working on finding a solution.
by Jamie Nelson G2G6 Pilot (360k points)
selected by Peter Kane
Thanks so much! I was beginning to think I was loose my mind! I can’t say how much I appreciate this app! It is both convenient and reduces errors when moving a tree!  And having a link back to the same profile on ancestry is going to make writing biographies and adding sources a much less chaotic process than dealing with a gedcom!  Bless you all for inventing this!
Hi, Jamie, I'm still having no success with Wikitree X on Ancestry. Is there any progress being made on a fix? If you need any testing help or other things I can do, I'd be happy to help.

I'm right in the middle of adding my tree to Wikitree, and would like to know when the problem is resolved. How can I get this information? I'm still not quite confident about how to find out things like that. Thanks!

You can track the status here: https://trello.com/c/gXiVzKqO

Thanks, Jamie! Is there any work around at all, other than doing adds and updates “by hand” instead of using wikiTree X? The app is such a huge accuracy improvement! I looked at the google security settings, and I’m just not savvy enough to safely change anything. If their is a save configuration, though, I’d be willing to try it. Thank you so much for all you do!
WikiTree X has been updated and it should be working again.
+2 votes
Whoever the powers be, they must have figured it out.  It is working for me.
by Rhonda Zimmerman G2G6 Pilot (201k points)
Thank you! I tried it again last evening before I asked the question, and it was still behaving the same. So I’m thrilled it’s working again. I can’t wait to try it out, and finish this first phase of moving my tree!
I was encouraged too soon! It still isn’t working here, but since it is working some places, I wonder what browser you use? Apparently the problem is caused by a security update on chrome. I’ll try Firefox tomorrow and see if that works better.
I too am using chrome and it is still working for me this morning.
Maybe we should compare how we have our security settings. That’s what changed in the chrome update. Or possibly we are running different versions? I’m not at my desktop machine right now, but I’ll check as soon as I can, and get back on here with the version. That’s probably the first thing to check...

Thanks for letting me know!

Deb
0 votes
For whatever reason, mine is now doing this to my profiles being created by WikiTree X. I can edit profiles, add new ones, etc. manually, but the minute I try to create one using WikiTree X, I'm hosed.
by Scott Fulkerson G2G Astronaut (1.2m points)
If you use chrome, check out the first answer.
Yep - I'm on Chrome. And I recall a recent update.

Related questions

+7 votes
1 answer
149 views asked Aug 16, 2020 in The Tree House by Patricia Ferdig G2G6 Mach 3 (32.2k points)
+8 votes
2 answers
+9 votes
1 answer
126 views asked Oct 18, 2018 in WikiTree Tech by Julie Ricketts G2G6 Pilot (395k points)
+8 votes
1 answer
182 views asked Aug 21, 2018 in WikiTree Tech by D. Botkin G2G6 Mach 3 (34.3k points)
+5 votes
0 answers
93 views asked Feb 21, 2018 in WikiTree Tech by Richard Devlin G2G6 Pilot (335k points)
+64 votes
23 answers
+4 votes
2 answers
275 views asked Mar 13, 2020 in WikiTree Tech by Karen Butler G2G6 Pilot (141k points)
+5 votes
1 answer
+3 votes
1 answer
116 views asked Jul 25, 2020 in WikiTree Tech by Lance Martin G2G6 Pilot (101k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright

...