Response to correct information was to orphan a profile [closed]

+2 votes
I recently posted a comment about Hallman-299  Henry Hallman Jr. and the Profile Manager orphaned the profile.  I was expecting a response about the documentation I found or questions about the correct family relationships. Instead they disown the profile and leave it for someone else to straighten out the errors. Is this type of response normal?  The previous Manager has over 150,000 contributions on WikiTree.
WikiTree profile: Henry Hallman
closed with the note: Closed by creator because question was answered.
in Genealogy Help by Richard Hallman G2G Rookie (180 points)
closed by Ellen Smith
Since you are related, why not adopt the profile?

2 Answers

+9 votes
In my opinion there is no "typical" response.  I have to say I've done the same a few times.  I constantly run up against the 5000 limit and have to drop profiles.  

I like to fill out families so I end up as PM on a ton of non related people.  I suggest you put your suggestions on the profile rather than sending the PM a private message.  (You may have done it this way. )

That way the information you post will be seen by anyone that takes a look at the profile and not just possibly "ignored" by an overwhelmed PM.   Anyone who sees the comment can do updates, and you are also free to make whatever edits you think are needed.  

I understand it seems like they are "walking away" from the problem but it's also hard to manage comments and suggestions on 5000 profiles.
by Kim Williams G2G6 Mach 4 (49.3k points)
0 votes
I think your rather abrupt comment might have led them to assume that since you had better information you might be more interested in correcting it, especially as you have these details. It is not necessary for there to be a profile manager on any given profile, were you intending to adopt this one, or just add your findings?
by Jonathan Crawford G2G6 Pilot (202k points)

I appreciate the information about editing without being the manager but I don't see any "rather abrupt comment".  His brother was listed as his father and he is born in the wrong year and state.

To each their own, but i might hear "This upsets long standing errors " as more of a "your data is Wrooong, suckas!" as opposed to "hey, cousins, look what i found, isn't this interesting, who can help me sort this out?" (Hyperbole for the purpose of explaining my own comment,  clearly you were not so crass)

Related questions

+3 votes
0 answers
77 views asked Dec 16, 2016 in Genealogy Help by Beth Werrell G2G Crew (830 points)
+1 vote
1 answer
+8 votes
3 answers
+2 votes
2 answers
+10 votes
2 answers
106 views asked May 25, 2021 in WikiTree Tech by Debbie Mischo G2G4 (4.6k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright