How do I connect siblings to one family? I went about this process backwards.

+1 vote
I created two separate profiles on WikiTree.  I've since learned that the two profiles are brothers; I didn't know when I created the profiles that the two were siblings.  I began adding siblings to one of the profiles, and I now want to connect the existing profile on WikiTree to the other sibling who has an existing WikiTree profile.  Connecting Yancey-1332 Spencer Yancey and Yancey-1553 Edmon Yancey.  I would appreciate help with that. Thank you.
in WikiTree Help by Joanne Yancey G2G Crew (640 points)

3 Answers

+1 vote
Best answer
As Kathy said, if 1553 and 1737 are the same father, it's better to merge them rather than leaving the unknown profile out there with no hope of finding a family for it.  If same data, easy merge, if no data, then we go by were they meant to be the same people.  The Unknown Yancy father of one brother would = the named father of the other brother.
by Cindy Cooper G2G6 Pilot (171k points)
selected by Joanne Yancey
Thank you, Cindy.
Cindy, I merged the two profiles, one of which had practically no information, so that was a piece of cake.  It was smooth sailing from there.  Thank you so much.  I appreciate the clarity of the instructions also.
Good job!  Glad I could help.  Feel free to ask advise any time - G2G is a great resource.  You can also message me directly.
+1 vote
Hi Joanne, if you go into the edit page of one profile and look down the right hand side you will see add/remove sibling, click and follow the prompts. Don’t forget to scroll down and check if they have the same parents, then save. If you return to the first profile and return to the profile page you should now see the sibling has been added.
by Marion Poole G2G Astronaut (1.2m points)
Thank you, Marion.
+1 vote
Go to the profile Yancey-1553 go to edit father remove Unknown Yancey, add Yancey-1737 as the father if he is the correct father that will link them up as siblings
by Will Palmer G2G6 Mach 6 (66.7k points)

Yancey-1553 and Yancey-1737 need to be MERGED if they are the same person.  Once the merge is complete all children of the father will be half-siblings until they also have the same mother.
Thank you, Kathy.
Thank you, Will.

Related questions

+2 votes
1 answer
+2 votes
1 answer
+8 votes
2 answers
+27 votes
5 answers
+2 votes
9 answers
+6 votes
1 answer
164 views asked May 5, 2016 in Policy and Style by Ken Sargent G2G6 Mach 5 (57.0k points)
+6 votes
1 answer
165 views asked Oct 4, 2015 in WikiTree Tech by S S G2G Crew (310 points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright