I am trying to find birth records in england for 1600 - 1800.

+1 vote
I am trying to find birth records for John May born Devon, england 1730 death 1814 spouse was Grace Kell who died 1761 in England.  any help appreciated. Thanks. Perry Fuller.
in Genealogy Help by Perry Fuller G2G Crew (490 points)

Ancestry, which has British records, states:

  • Civil registration was introduced in the UK in 1837. For vital record information before the nineteenth century, parish records (primarily baptisms, marriages and burials) are the best source. They can go as far back as 1538.

Another useful source for the UK is “online parish clerks” for the county of interest. These are extracted records, but often identify the Family History Library (FamilySearch) film number. These are free sites.

Many, but not all, UK parish records have been extracted. So in some cases searching the digital films page by page is necessary.

In larger towns there is likely more than one parish. Also, knowing the religion can be important. If your family belonged to a non-conformist congregation records won’t be with the Church of England.

2 Answers

+2 votes
One good (and free) place to look is familysearch.org.

Another (if you have a subscription) is FindMyPast, which also has the images for Devon.
by Ros Haywood G2G Astronaut (1.4m points)

Related questions

+5 votes
4 answers
207 views asked Jan 16, 2021 in Genealogy Help by Paul Schmehl G2G6 Mach 4 (42.9k points)
+1 vote
3 answers
119 views asked Jan 25, 2019 in Genealogy Help by Kaylinn Stormo G2G6 Mach 1 (18.4k points)
+2 votes
0 answers
+1 vote
4 answers
+3 votes
2 answers
+6 votes
1 answer
+1 vote
1 answer

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright