How can I search for my GGrandfather after 1911?

+1 vote
I found John Shand McLean on the  1911 census - not sure where to look next to find out what happened to him. John was born in Peterhead, Scotland and after my grandfather was born in Aberdeen in 1910 the family story is that he went to join his father in America. As with many family stories this may not be true! John did not marry my great Grandmother although his brother James did marry her sister Anne.
The family story may just have been to "explain" his absence from her life.
in Genealogy Help by Living Mclean G2G Crew (650 points)
edited by Living Mclean

5 Answers

+3 votes

After 1911 things definitely get more difficult! What country are you searching in? That makes a big difference for what records are available. If this is in Canada, there is a 1916 census, but only for Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. It can be searched here: (only by location, unfortunately it's not transcribed), or you can search a full transcription if you have access to Ancestry. Depending on the age of your ancestor, you might be able to find something in the vital records as well.

I hope that helps! If you provide a fairly specific location, people will be able to recommend records that are available.


by Lianne Lavoie G2G6 Pilot (427k points)
+4 votes

There's a lot of John McLeans on FamilySearch and some trees up there, too. and It looks like it is probably info you already have or maybe even added yourself. There are a bunch of John McLeans born 1886-1888, Scotland, listed in multiple US censuses, but with immigration dates that are too early or listed with families. Would he have left his family and come over to the US?


by N. Ott G2G2 (2.9k points)
+3 votes
Hi Rhona - I'm not sure if I can help but I'm an American who is currently living in Scotland (about 8 miles from Peterhead!).  Have you tried the ScotlandsPeople website?  (  If he died in Scotland, there should be a death record for him there.  If he did go to America, do you know what state he went to?  Let me know if there's anything that I can do from this side of the pond!  If you have an address where he was on the 1911 census, I'd be glad to see if the house is still there.  

by Susan Freer G2G Rookie (290 points)
+1 vote
Have you checked 1939 Register, in case he went to live elsewhere in Britain?

Military records? Whichever country he was living in at the time, he may have been called-up or volunteered.
by M Grogan G2G Crew (650 points)
0 votes
The 1921 census will be on FindMyPast in 2022.
by Rosemary Jones G2G6 Pilot (245k points)

Related questions

+6 votes
3 answers
273 views asked Aug 10, 2021 in Genealogy Help by G McLean G2G Crew (340 points)
+1 vote
5 answers
131 views asked May 1, 2021 in WikiTree Help by Living Fox G2G5 (5.5k points)
+2 votes
2 answers
+2 votes
1 answer
88 views asked Nov 23, 2020 in The Tree House by Willy Lee G2G Crew (320 points)
+9 votes
2 answers
69 views asked Aug 16, 2020 in Genealogy Help by Tanya Mcclain G2G Crew (400 points)
+2 votes
0 answers
88 views asked Feb 12, 2020 in Genealogy Help by Margaret Allison G2G6 Mach 2 (29.3k points)
0 votes
2 answers
157 views asked Jun 16, 2019 in Genealogy Help by anonymous

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright