On 23 Jul 2021 Jonathan Crawford wrote on Crawford-420:
It has been documented here on WikiTree that [[Crawford-420|James Crawford]] is descended from ([[Crawford-334|David Crawford II (1662-abt.1762)]]), but I believe that to be untrue. The exact point in the lineage where the incorrect relation exists is suggested here, where I believe that James Crawford (1701-1749) should not be listed as David II's son, for the following reasons:
1. I, [[Crawford-7109|Jonathan Crawford]] belong to a different Y-DNA haplogroup than other tested descendants of David II. DNA results indicate that Jonathan Crawford (haplogroup R-BY200574) does not descend from the same Paternal lineage as David II's documented descendants from other sons (haplogroup I2-BY3099). This divergence of haplogroups occurred approximately 20,000 years ago, and was not an occurrence in genealogical timeframes.
2. James Crawford (1701-1749) is not listed in David II's will (his supposed father), who lists even sons who have died prior to him, as he passes on belongings and slaves.
3.There is no reason to suspect a NPE (Non-Parental Event) on either side at this point, other sources seem to be clear on the relationships.
4. When comparing GedMatch kits for all descendants of David Crawford II, there are multiple testers from different sons linked here. When the testers are compared to each other, the only matches found are between descendants of James Crawford, and a separate group of matching between descendants of the sons of David listed in his will. While relationships are 5C1R or farther, and therefore not matching is not positive evidence of non-relationship, there are zero matches between James' descendants and David II's other sons' descendants.
5. Jonathan Crawford has matched with several other testers on FTDNA, but none of them match with David II's descendants, and no common ancestors have been found between Jonathan and the other testers back to 1700. Current testing indicates a probability of a common ancestor somewhere between 1500 and 1700.
6. Documented, sourced cousins with ancestry back to Josiah Crawford (1735-1797) (James' son) report that they have matched via auDNA to descendants of Guyon Morrison, Josiah's father-in-law.
7. Only two descendants of Guyon are on WikiTree with GedMatch IDs, and neither match to cousins under James (although they are 7th cousins, so this is entirely possible). Additional information requested of those cousins to clarify their "matches" has indicated that it is via Ancestry ThruLines. Specific information regarding kits on GedMatch has been requested, but for now, auDNA matching cannot be used as positive evidence of a familial relationship.
8. However, Guyon Morrison signed surety for James Crawford before his death, and also took part in the inventory of his belongings when he passed, so clearly was a close friend as well as father of James' son's wife. This seems to be a clear indicator that James Crawford is indeed Josiah's father, despite the lack of a clear birth record. (Josiah mentioned as "Josias" in James' will, hence the discussion of possible confusion)
9. Documentation back to Josiah Crawford seems to be intact, the link between James Crawford (b. 1774) and Josiah his father is solely through Josiah's will, but there is no reason to doubt its veracity or the link to this James.
10. This would infer that despite the auDNA matching difficulty to Guyon's descendants, the clearly indicated close relationships to Josiah's father-in-law should be proof of James' parental relationship to Josiah, who married Guyon's daughter.
Therefore, according to the above arguments, and in the apparent absence of any positive evidence proving the connection between David II and James, I propose detaching James Crawford (Crawford-420) as a son from David Crawford II, and from Elizabeth Smith (wife of James Crawford) as his mother, on 9/1/2021.
If additional evidence can be provided by anyone showing a positive link between David/Elizabeth and James before 9/1/2021, I will not pursue this course of action. Please add any additional information anyone may have regarding the source documents listed on this profile that is not clearly indicated on the profile if it provides such direction.