How can I find out if my father legally changed his name?

+4 votes
My father was born Wilbur Brandt.  My mother always knew him as William Bradley.  How do I find out if he legally cahnged his name?
WikiTree profile: Wilbur Woodside
in Genealogy Help by Living Woodside G2G Crew (880 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Best answer
Check the 1930 and 1940 census and see how he was named there.

Seek his birth, marriage and death certificates and compare those. Might give you a timeline of when he went by which name. Then that will help you pinpoint a closer time to seek a legal name change.
by Jillaine Smith G2G6 Pilot (838k points)
selected by Shannon Verissimo

Related questions

+3 votes
1 answer
+4 votes
1 answer
241 views asked Oct 24, 2015 in Genealogy Help by Susan McGillicuddy
+2 votes
1 answer
+6 votes
2 answers
194 views asked Jun 5, 2021 in WikiTree Help by J. Howard Baxter G2G Crew (320 points)
+6 votes
1 answer
200 views asked Jul 9, 2015 in Policy and Style by Letha Anderson G2G1 (1.6k points)
+5 votes
4 answers
212 views asked Mar 7, 2013 in Genealogy Help by Paul Albandoz G2G Rookie (280 points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright