replace uploaded gedcom

+2 votes
The PAF I uploaded as a gedcom to WikiTree is very unsatisfactory as it  contained a few duplicates, one or two people who may still be alive and often has as otherwise known as "See note" due to my incorrectly using that field for indicating that there was a note. Now I have gone through the PAF and removed all known duplicates, all those who may be still alive and all "See note" entries. Is it possible to replace the old gedcom with this final new one? I would very much like to do that. If it is possible to do so please let me know how to do that. Thank you for your help.
in Genealogy Help by Edwin Reffell G2G4 (4.9k points)

2 Answers

+1 vote
Best answer

Hello, Edwin.  Unfortunately, the files can't be overridden. If there are living individuals from your files on WikiTree, all you need to do is make sure they are set to private. The red lock is the default on WikiTree for living people.

We try to avoid duplicates, but if you have some in your files, they are easy to merge.  For instructions on how to do this, go to:

Following is what the Help Section says about updating profiles with new GEDCOM:

Can you update profiles with new GEDCOM imports?

No. You can add...individuals with new GEDCOM imports, but you can never update existing profiles this way.

There is no way to automatically "sync" WikiTree with other systems.

Our community is working on one set of profiles in one worldwide family tree. Automatically overwriting shared profiles would be unfair to other members of the community who may have been seeing these profiles in indexes and trees and making their own contributions.

by Debby Black G2G6 Mach 8 (82.2k points)
selected by Abby Glann
0 votes

Because WikiTree is a collaborative project, once a GEDCOM is uploaded, the profiles become a part of the community project.  If a new uploaded GEDCOM were able to replace a previous one, it would affect other users that are collaborating on existing profiles, change relationships and cause big problems with the community tree.  You may edit and update individual profiles on WikiTree, and you may upload new names to WikiTree, but replacing existing profiles isn't possible.

by Tami Mize G2G6 Mach 4 (40.6k points)

Related questions

+3 votes
1 answer
+4 votes
2 answers
+3 votes
1 answer
+1 vote
1 answer
96 views asked May 1, 2017 in The Tree House by June Francis G2G Rookie (220 points)
+23 votes
4 answers
377 views asked Aug 1 in Genealogy Help by C. Mackinnon G2G6 Pilot (312k points)
+3 votes
1 answer
74 views asked Apr 10 in WikiTree Help by Michael Hendry G2G1 (1.7k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright