Inaccuracies in primary records

+4 votes
Researching my family has revealed many inaccuracies for primary records.

For example: the burial location of my grandmother, threw correct spelling of my great graother's middle name, the birthdate of my father (on his birth certificate no less), the spouse name for a great grandfather (the reporting nurse, not the spouse).

Any ideas whether its worthwhile cleaning this stuff up for future generations?  And if so how?
in Genealogy Help by Bill Jennings G2G6 (8.7k points)
dang Bill - I thought having a tombstone with the wrong spelling was bad, but. Dang. The birth certificate sounds like a nighmare!  What I did for the incorrectly spelled maiden name on the tombstone was to point out the error & restate the correct spelling on the profile page.  Don't know that you can get the primary source(s) corrected, but you can document the error as an error and give the correct information on the profile pages for your relatives in WikiTree. At least that way the error/correction should be easily found by future generations.

Thanks LIz - my Dad's birth information is a mess.

I know what day he celebrates his birthday (Feb 10, 1922); I have his birth certificate from Arkansas, which had a form letter 191_ for the year - and the doctor filled in "2" : so it says 1912 as his birth year.  Also, it has written in very poor doctor's headwriting what looks like a "9" instead of a "10" for the day of the month.

The State of Arkansaw didn't start filing birth certificates until after 1912..

His National Guard discharge says he was born: Feb 10, 1919 - as he joined when he was 15, and you had to pledge you were 18 to join the National Guard: but in his small town in Arkansas, it was a way for all the teenagers to have rifles to shoot: and he joined up.

His Army Discharge from WWII shows he was born Feb 10, 1922.

His Death Certificate says he was born Feb 10, 1922.

He could have easily filed for Social Security earlier based on his birth certificate or his National Guard discharge, but didn't.
Would it be worth contacting the appropriate records office and pointing out their errors? I know beurocracy is a big thing, but humans do make mistakes and records should be accurate.

1 Answer

0 votes
Could your grandfather have altered his Birth Certificate so he could join the National Guard.  Many guys did so they would be accepted.  He was 15 needed 3 yrs to be 18 that would account for the 3 yr change from 1919 to 1922.
by A B G2G6 Mach 4 (41.2k points)

Related questions

+13 votes
1 answer
91 views asked Feb 2, 2016 in The Tree House by Bill Sekel G2G6 Pilot (123k points)
+2 votes
3 answers
+4 votes
0 answers
52 views asked Oct 31, 2021 in The Tree House by Beth Golden G2G6 Mach 1 (16.1k points)
+2 votes
2 answers
+1 vote
1 answer
98 views asked May 16, 2019 in The Tree House by Wayne Prather G2G1 (1.9k points)
+2 votes
1 answer
96 views asked Apr 26, 2019 in WikiTree Help by anonymous
+11 votes
2 answers
98 views asked Aug 30, 2017 in Appreciation by Stacey Drake G2G Crew (460 points)
+2 votes
3 answers
180 views asked Aug 2, 2017 in WikiTree Tech by John Strizak G2G Rookie (220 points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright