Is it possible to reverse a merge?

+3 votes
Someone recently merged Sarah Colton into Sarah Savage, despite the presence of more evidence for Colton than Savage as her maiden name. Before pursuing this further I'd like to know if its even possible to reverse a merge. Thanks.
WikiTree profile: Sarah Savage
in Genealogy Help by Jillaine Smith G2G6 Pilot (759k points)

2 Answers

+5 votes
Best answer
For all practical purposes the answer to this question is no.

For users who see this question in the future, I wanted to make this clear. See

by Chris Whitten G2G Astronaut (1.2m points)
selected by Michelle Hartley
+2 votes
Hi Jillaine, I've read someplace in g2g before that a merge can't be undone except with difficulty by the sysops.  However if you're the profile manager it's easy enough to change the LNAB.  I've had to do this a few times to make a profile correct.
by Dan Thompson G2G6 Mach 2 (22.1k points)
Yes, I was aware of that possibility; I just hate losing a lower-numbered surname.
Here's more info on what Daniel is mentioning:

It's written for sysops, so that would be confusing to most readers.

Jillaine, I'll connect you with Lianne on this.
Wait, Jillaine, you want to do this just to save Colton-117? I thought we were talking about Colton-1 or something. :-) Really, this is all aesthetic. The IDs don't really matter.

Related questions

0 votes
3 answers
+4 votes
2 answers
69 views asked Nov 12, 2018 in Policy and Style by Laurie Hughes G2G2 (2.9k points)
+1 vote
2 answers
213 views asked Nov 3, 2018 in Genealogy Help by Laurie Hughes G2G2 (2.9k points)
+10 votes
2 answers
+4 votes
1 answer
+4 votes
1 answer
133 views asked Jan 24, 2014 in Genealogy Help by Michael Tyler G2G6 Mach 2 (20.7k points)
+4 votes
1 answer
+3 votes
1 answer
131 views asked Dec 27, 2018 in Genealogy Help by David Hughey G2G Astronaut (1.2m points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright