I have a tree of about 5000 people in Ancestry.co.uk, I find Ancestry the best source for building my tree so I just keep the single tree, and add to it manually when I find new leads and sources on other sites.
Obviously I'm keen to import it into wikitree and share it with others, but only in small chunks when I'm happy with the quality of the tree. So I keep Ancestry synced with FamilyTreemaker and use FTM to export small branches as Gedcoms
1. However I have so far noticed that dates are not always parsed
2.Some of the sources refer to files on my local computer, which is not very helpful to anyone else I think these are when I have added something to a Gallery on Ancestry.co.uk and then it gets downloaded to my computer when I sync to FTM
3. Ancestry have a single field for first name/middle name but WikiTree has two fields,so after import middle name field is always blank.
Now since the Gedcom tree is a text file, is there any preparsing I could do before importing into WikiTree for the optimal import.
1. Should I remove these links to my files. Alternatively could I upload the images to my own website and link to that ?
2. I usually find birth records via Ancestry, but these in turn come form FreeBMD so is there a way to change birth citations to FreeBMD citations so that then visible to all those without Ancestry account.
3. Because Ancestry have a single field for first name/middle name but WikiTree has two fields, after import the middle name is always empty. In most cases when a person has two first names the second is a middle name so could I parse the Gedcom so that second name goes into a middle name field.