I have substantially re-written the biography of the PGM immigrant William Johnson, correcting numerous errors. Sources provided for every statement.
He is however connected to the wrong parents. He is not a son of Abraham Johnson and Anne Meadows as currently given. See the errors section for a detailed explanation.
I believe him to be proven to be the parents of WILLIAM JOHNSON-5398 AND SUSAN PORREDGE-1. This identification is noted by Anderson in his Great Migration series, but he doesn't go so far as to make them the parents of William Johnson. I believe Anderson has not given the evidence full thought, and the evidence is more than strong enough to make William Johnson of Cambridge the brother of Edward Johnson of Woburn.
The argument that William Johnson of Cambridge was a brother of Edward Johnson, and a son of William Johnson of Canterbury, co. Kent by his wife Susan Porredge:
- Edward Johnson of Woburn is a proven son William Johnson of Canterbury.
- He is known to have had a brother William Johnson.
- The brother William Johnson disappears from the English records.
- Edward Johnson had a son Matthew.
- This Matthew Johnson purchased land "on the Cambridge line" from his cousin Joseph Johnson.
- William Johnson owned 4 acres of land described in records as "on the Cambridge line."
- William Johnson had a son Joseph who would have been Matthew's cousin.
- There are no other possible Joseph Johnson's owning land in Cambridge who could possibly be the cousin of Matthew.
- William Johnson of Cambridge must be the same as William Johnson of Canterbury, brother of Edward johnson of Canterbury and Woburn.