Here is my personal code of conduct that I have been following when fixing database errors, I have had no complaints as yet and lots of thank you's so maybe this is a way of working we would like to adopt for the project
My code of conduct when fixing database errors
- With very easy obvious errors such as incorrect gender, gender missing, there is no need to contact the profile manager for an unlocked profile, plus the change log shows exactly what happened.
- Be clear and friendly when advising of errors, errors happen to everyone! be careful to try to not make people feel like there in the naughty corner.
- Post a message on the public comments to say if you have contacted the person, so that no one else also contacts them. - NB - I think public comments should be ok to be deleted once they are finished with and think we should have a debate about this soon.
- If you do make changes such as changing a unknown birth location to a place, make sure a source is added to the record so the profile manager can have a look.
- Make sure all correspondance has the url of the error thread so they can look at it, this also helps people see there not being personally targeted
- If you see the same name coming up regularly or if the person is pretty well known on g2g drop them a more general have you seen this type message and leave them to it for a little while (Ales might be able to help with this by adding in the project manager name to the error list's, but not sure if that could make it too much of a league table)
- Ensure if the above is the case the profile manage is aware that after getting a list of their errors off they can hide them for 30 days while they are working on them, so there would be no need to send messages or put a comment on for every profile.
- If people come back to you for advice, further information help them in a timely manner or direct them to a person who can help. I also advise to add announcements to their tag to find out more about these types of projects.
- If you’re working on a particular line from the error sheet, add a note on the project page so no one else will also look at it that way.
- If you put through a merge then you and the profile manager are responsibly for taking the duplicate notes out, I usually give the profile manager a few weeks to do that, if they then haven't I do it.