Since I am already work on George Martin's lineage I thought I should probably propose a PGM related change to the English Origins of Susanna (North) Martin of the Salem Witch Trails (wife of George Martin).
John Martin is not a PGM profile but his son and granddaughter are:
I propose changing the parents of John North to Thomas North of Olney and changing his place of birth to Olney. I added a biography discussing the changes. Please offer your opinions below.
Thanks in advance.
Please note some Internet sites like Tudor Palace have conflated John North's father Thomas North of Olny with Sir Thomas North. This cannot be the case. Wikisource's biography of Sir Thomas North shows he was a different man than Thomas North of Olney (see below):
(Sir Thomas) "North was married: first, to Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. Colville of London, and widow of Robert Rich; and, secondly, to Judith, daughter of Henry Vesey of Isleham, Cambridgeshire, and widow of Robert Bridgwater. This lady was a third time married, to John Courthope, second son of John Courthope of Whiligh, Sussex. By his first wife he was father of Edward, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Wren of Haddenham, Isle of Ely; and Elizabeth, married in June 1579 to Thomas Stuteville of Brinkley, Cambridgeshire. Cooper mentions a third child, Roger, but the boy's name is absent from the family records; and if he ever existed, it is probable that he died in infancy."
Sometimes John of Romsey, Hampshire, England is shown as a father without citation.
In 1993 Genealogist David L Green, Ph.D. FASG discovered the English origins of Richard North, the father of Susanna (North) Martin who was executed in the Salem Witch Trials. He published his findings in The American Genealogist. A link to his article is below.
John NORTH was baptized 3 AUG 1570 in Olney, Buckinghamshire, England the son of Thomas North of Olney. John was buried in Olney on 4 Nov 1619. His father Father Thomas North died in Olney Buckghamshire, England leaving a will dated 20 Jan 1597/8 and proved 21 Jun 1602. The will of Thomas North names his three children John, Margaret (and son-in-law John Abram and their four children) and daughter Annys Webb (and her children Richard and Ellen).
John North's wife Annis (or Ann) Hodell made a will in Olney dated 5 Jun 1633 proved 20 Jul 1633 naming her children: Jane, Chistopher, Thomas, John, Richard, Marye Knight, Elizabeth Boussill, William and she also names her brother Thomas Hodell. One of the overseers was her loving Brother Thomas Hodell, a clue toward her idenity since Hodell was probably not related to her through her husband. John NORTH and Annis/Ann HODELL were married before 1590 in England. No probate has been found for John North. John North was married with at least one son, Thomas, when his father Thomas North executed his will on 20 January 1597/98. As John North, householder, he was buried at Olney on 4 November 1619.
Greene identifies the children of John North and Annis/Ann Hodell born in Olney, Buckinghamshire, England as:
- William of London named executor so probably oldest
- John shoemaker of London
- Richard NORTH (born about 1590 in Olney, Buckinghamshire, England. He died on 1 MAR 1667 in Salisbury, Massachusetts Bay Colony). He married first Joan Bartram mother to most or all of his children and second to Ursula Scott.
- Mary m Kight
- Thomas North (born abt 1592 buried 28 MAY 1640 in Olney) Married: Alice HOOTON ABT 1621 in Olney, Buckingham, England. He had daughters Alice/Elizabeth, Ann, Susannah and Mary. Note green thinks Alice and Elizabeth were the same person.
- Elizabeth married William Balswell.
- Christopher youngest son
- Jane youngest daughter married Basse.
Note the baptism records for some of Richard's children were found in Olney Bishop's Transcripts at the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Alylesbury. The baptism of his Richard's daughters was performed by Vicar William Worcester of Olney who later moved to Salisbury with Richard North giving further support to his identity.
- ↑ Wikisource
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 David L. Greene, "The English Origin of Richard(1) North and his Daughter, Susanna(2) (North) Martin executed for Witchcraft in 1692," in The American Genealogist. New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, 1937-. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1993) Vol 68 p 65-70 link