We just released a bunch of changes to the pull-down menus at the tops of pages. (You can see them at the top of this page, but the menus in G2G aren't a good representation because they're limited for various reasons.)
Before listing out all the changes (for someone who cares about them all?) I want to mention one change in particular: On person-related pages, the pull-down menu that starts with the person's WikiTree ID -- see the home page for the one that starts with your ID -- now includes an "Error Report" link.
Clicking this takes you to a page on a website run by the amazing Aleš Trtnik. Here's an example for me, Whitten-1.
As many of you already know, Aleš has been doing independent data-crunching on our database to find likely errors. The new Database Errors Project has grown up around his work. Check out your error report -- it's highly recommended.
Other menu changes:
There are now mouse-over titles that add explanation when you hold your cursor over a menu item without clicking. We had them on the last three menus before but now they're on all of them.
We made the main link in each menu bold, e.g. the Navigation Home Page link is bolded in the My WikiTree menu.
We removed a bunch of links from the person menu. Many members have complained that the list of links was too long, especially on mobile devices. Here are the specific changes to the person menu:
- Removed "[Surname] DNA". (It's accessible from the surname menus.)
- Removed "Surnames" link to widget 10. (Uncommonly used. Accessible from Tree & Tools page (TNT) and surname nav pages.)
- Removed "Tree Widgets". (Uncommonly used. Accessible from TNT page.)
- Removed "Ancestor List". (Family List is usually better now, and this is accessible from TNT page.)
- Removed "Activity Feed". (Meaning could be confused with Family Activity Feed. This can be accessed from the Changes tab on profiles.)
- Removed "Public Profile". (Accessible from tab on profile.)
- Removed "Trusted List" and change "Privacy Level" to "Privacy". (Same link.)
- Removed "Shareable Tree" (Not commonly used? Accessible from TNT page. And, of course, TNT page and other pages are shareable.)
- Removed "Images". (Accessible from Images tab on profiles.)
- Changed "Connection to AJ" to "Global Connections". (Suggested here multiple times.)
- Changed "Tree & Tools" to "Family Tree & Tools". (For clarity and to make it more prominent.)
- Added a "G2G Profile" link if the person is an active member.
- Confirmed that "Name Displays" always appears. (Discussed somewhere here with Liz(?).)
On the "My WikiTree" menu:
- Removed "G2G Profile" link. (Now in person menu.)
- Removed "Family List" link. (In person menu and on TNT page.)
On the surname menu (where available):
- Added "Genealogists" link.
On the "Add" menu:
- Changed "Followed Surnames" to "Followed Tags".
On the "Find" menu:
- Added Unsourced people in your Watchlist, like with Unconnected and Orphaned (suggested here).
On the "Help" menu:
- Added "Adoption Angels".
- Changed "Contact Mentor" to just "Mentors", and "Contact Team" to "WikiTree Team" since we can't fit "Contact Adoption Angel".
- Changed G2G link to say "Forum".
If you see any problems or would like to suggest additional changes for the next round, post here. Thanks!
Onward and upward,