The Notable Project and the Collaborative Profile of the Week Present
Thomas Posey (1750-1818)
The Notables Project thought it would be a great idea to select not only an historical figure but one with references to a celebration going on all year. 2016 is the bicentennial celebration of the founding of the state of Indiana, and as such our choice is one of Indiana's founding fathers, Thomas Posey.
Thomas Posey was born in Virginia and at a key point became the 2nd and Final Governor of the Indiana Territory, in the years 1813 to 1816. He was the man who carried the governance of the state from territory into statehood. He had previously been a US Senator and a Lieutenant Governor, so he had a rich political history. He was also instrumental in the Revolutionary War, so he is a great choice for collaboration.
His profile is a bit blank at the moment - no family members - no biography. So this is a great opportunity to step in and add to a great historical figure's profile and to celebrate a historical moment with the state of Indiana.
Some possible items to add:
- Did Thomas marry and have children?
- Can we connect him to the global tree?
- There has been an ongoing discussion about the parentage of Thomas. It has been claimed that he was the son of George Washington. I don't think we're going to solve this, but a couple of paragraphs discussing the topic would be in order. There's a detailed article on the topic in the Indiana Magazine of History.
- Thomas's political accomplishments (maybe in a timeline).
- His Revolutionary War service.
It’s helpful to the collaboration and to save duplication of work if you post an answer here before working on some aspect of the profile. But please feel free to simply add to the profile whatever you’ve found out with its source.
Not surprisingly, the goal of the Notables Project is to add notable figures from world history and current events to our WikiTree global family tree. If you'd like to join the great team of project members working on these profiles, the Notables Project would love to have you.