Need help with German ? handwriting

+6 votes
I have a number of old family photo postcards that have writing like this on the back of them. The people in the photographs do not appear to be identified.  I know what branch of my family tree these photos come from and all the families this photo could have originated with are German.  I'm hoping there might be someone here who can read/translate the handwriting for me. I'm hoping the notes on these cards will lead me to identifying the people depicted on the front.
in Genealogy Help by Sondra Marshall G2G6 Mach 3 (31.8k points)

1 Answer

0 votes
"da sind ein paar Stumpenzieher darauf" - on here are a few stump pullers.

My guess is that "Stumpenzieher"  is used here as a colloquialism. It is used normally as a name for a tool, either to remove tree stumps, but also as a tool to remove broken off screws. As for a profession it was the name of one special task in the production of felt hats.
by Helmut Jungschaffer G2G6 Pilot (552k points)
Thank you!  I just finished scanning the front of this particular card. I don't know what a stump puller looks like, could it be the device they are standing around is one?
Tree stump pullers were essentially pulleys on a scaffold, powered by a tractor or, earlier, horses. So yes, I think this is what you are looking at in this picture.

Related questions

+3 votes
1 answer
229 views asked Sep 3, 2018 in WikiTree Help by John Schmeeckle
+12 votes
0 answers
96 views asked Mar 21, 2018 in Appreciation by Living Snyder G2G6 Mach 2 (24.0k points)
+13 votes
3 answers
+10 votes
5 answers
+2 votes
2 answers
+3 votes
3 answers
189 views asked Nov 2, 2021 in Genealogy Help by Kathryn Ryan G2G3 (3.6k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright