How can I confirm or track a name change?

+4 votes
I was told by my father that my grandfather, Thomas-18347, changed his name from James Alfred Thomas to Alfred James Thomas shortly after my birth on Friday, October 15, 1948. There is a grave marked Alfred J. Thomas with the same year I know my grandfather died. How can I be sure it's him?
in Genealogy Help by James Thomas G2G Crew (470 points)
retagged by Maggie N.
I left you an answer but forgot one important thing. Are you sure that this is your grandfather's grave?

1 Answer

0 votes
Can you track him back in the census records, electoral rolls, voters registration etc to see where the names became reversed? Reversing your first and middle names is not an uncommon name change.

Can you get your grandmother's marriage certificate? That will show what name he was using at that time. Applying for your grandmother's instead of your grandfather's means you don't have to give his name. And if his name is required just put his last name on the form.

Another thing to look for is any military records. And I just remembered that you can apply for his Social Security Application. This is the form he filled out when he applied for a social security number.

What it comes down to is that you just have to keep tracking him back until you can identify when he started using Alfred James as his name.
by Rosemary Jones G2G6 Pilot (233k points)

Related questions

+6 votes
3 answers
+5 votes
0 answers
107 views asked Mar 26, 2014 in Genealogy Help by anonymous G2G1 (1.1k points)
+7 votes
2 answers
+3 votes
3 answers
+1 vote
1 answer
101 views asked Sep 7, 2019 in Genealogy Help by Jay Davis G2G Rookie (160 points)
+1 vote
1 answer

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright