Tony Tarracino (August 10, 1916 – November 1, 2008), commonly called Captain Tony, He was a bootlegger and saloon keeper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u13ta7SxSMM
the old chief name was booktowagan meaning "spark of fire" "flint", literally the place where flint stone is found.https://archive.org/stream/historyofcountyo00pattuoft/historyofcountyo00pattuoft_djvu.txt
Teceived from various parties in his undertaking. Of tne
public officials, who were always ready to facilitate iiis
enquiries, he desires to mention, in Halifax, Messrs. AY.
A. Hendry, late of the Crown Land Department, Thomas
Robertson, Provincial Secretary's office, VenableSj of the
Legislative Library ; and in Pictou, Messrs. David Mathe-
son, Clerk of the Peace and Prothonotary, and John Fer-
guson, Registrar of Deeds. He must also record his obli-
gations to Rev. S. T. Rand, for much of the information
in the second chapter regarding the Micmacs, to T. B.
Akins, Esq., of Halifax, for access to works of the early
French voyagers, to Dr. J. W. Dawson, and Ed. G-ilpin,
jr., Esq., for information as to the geology and mineralogy
of the county, to Thomas Millar, Esq., of Truro, for aid
in enquiries in Colchester, to the officers of the different
coal companies, especially Thomas Blenkinsop, Jesse
Hoyt, Roderick McDougall, G-eorge Hattie and J. P. Law-
son, Esqs., for information regarding the different collie-
ries ; and, for various personal reminiscences, to Messrs.
Robert Patterson, George Glennie, W. H. Harris and Jas.
Hepburn of Pictou, John McKay, Esq., of New Glasgow,
and among the departed, Mr. John Douglass of Middle
River, James McGregor, Esq., of New Glasgow, and his
late father. To the following he is specially indebted, for
the information regarding the settlements under-men-
tioned: to Rev. H. B. McKay, for River John, Toney
River and Cape John Shore ; Rev. William Grant for
Earltown and "West Branch River John ; Rev. J. Watson,
for New Annan; Rev. D. B. Blair, for Blue Mountain,
Barneys River and Garden of Eden ; Rev. Robert Cum-
ming, for St. Marys ; and Mr. William Fraser, for Pictou
Island. He has largely adopted their words and inter-
woven them with his own narrative. Many others have
rendered him aid, of which he is fully sensible, who, he
.trusts, will accept this general acknowledgment.
Glasgow^ N. /S,, Feby., 1877.
it is either a misprint or that the Micmacs have corrupted
the French name. At all events, we believe that the
party was the same person afterward known as Capt.
Toney. He is said to have been a Frenchman, who had
adopted the mode of life of the Aborigines, and had
acquired such influence over them that he was regarded
as a high chief, thai he spoke French well and English
tolerably, besides Micmac, that he has dined at the
G-overnor's table and was able to conduct himself with
the politeness of a Parisian. He was the ancestor of the
present Toney family among the Micmacs, and they
assert that the treaty was made by him in the name of
the tribe that on the part of the English, gun and bay-
onet, and on the-part of the Micmacs, tomahawk, bow and
arrow, were solemnly buried in one grave on the Citadel
Hill, at Halifax, the latter weapons underneath. Perhaps
the name as given by Murdoch may have been a mis-
reading for Toneyville. We may add, that from him
Toney River derives its name, but how it came to be
connected with him we have not been able to ascertain.
Place-names of the Province of Nova Scotia
I hope this helps ,but you have probably already been to these sources. Fearn-75