I did an incorrect merge, what is the best way to remedy it?

+8 votes
I "corrected" my great-grandfather's (Sauls-243) wife's NAB and created profile Humphries-1468, then added more of her family members. That is, another spouse (Findley-1150)  and some children. But in researching further, I realized that I had merged two women of similar names who were not the same person. I have thought that removing the marriage to my great grandfather and recreating the profile for the original wife would help, but Humphries-1468 's LNAB would still be wrong, based on the further research. I see no reason to delete her or her family, although they are not in any way part of my family, but I would like some expert advice. Is there a way to undo the change to Findley-1105 's LNAB? Or would some other procedure be better?

Thank you!
WikiTree profile: Leanna Humphries
asked in WikiTree Help by L Sauls G2G6 Mach 1 (10.7k points)
recategorized by Ellen Smith
Maybe it's best to start with opening the privacy level on the profile so others can have a look at it.  :)
Duh! Sorry! I have opened the privacy now.

1 Answer

+4 votes
Best answer

Hello, L!

Unfortunately, merges work one way and can't be undone (been there, done that!!). You will have to create a new profile to re-create Findley-1105's profile. Note that the new profile will have a new ID and any links for Findley-1105 will redirect to Humphries-1468.

You can find the original data for Findley-1105 by clicking the Changes tab for Humphries-1468, locating the edit that says "Merged Findley-1105 into Humphries-1468," and clicking on Findley-1105 to access its changes log. Click the link that says "changes to profile of (I don't know the given name) Findley", then copy and paste the old data into the new profile that you create. The highlighted text is NOT what you will see; I just don't know the given name for that profile!

You may want to add a research note or post a comment to let others know what happened. You should add the note/comment to Humphries-1468 also, for anyone who comes to that profile expecting Findley-1105.

If you need help with these tasks, just let me know!!


corrected ID for Findley-1105 (had Findley-1150)

answered by Lindy Jones G2G6 Pilot (159k points)
edited by Lindy Jones

Related questions

+29 votes
1 answer
+2 votes
2 answers
0 votes
1 answer
75 views asked Sep 13, 2013 in Genealogy Help by Laura Sherman G2G Rookie (170 points)
+5 votes
1 answer
+6 votes
1 answer
+2 votes
1 answer
69 views asked May 11, 2018 in WikiTree Help by Sylvia Benton G2G6 Mach 1 (10.5k points)
+4 votes
2 answers
99 views asked Jun 19, 2015 in The Tree House by James Rugh G2G2 (2.1k points)
+7 votes
0 answers
127 views asked May 19, 2015 in Policy and Style by Dawn Ellis G2G6 Mach 7 (78.1k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright