Moments ago we released a round of changes to person search results.
The most significant, technically, is the inclusion of DNA test connection information. See this separate G2G post.
Other changes might seem more dramatic and they might affect how you use the search function. These changes are almost all cosmetic in the sense that they're easy to change. We'll plan to make another round of changes after members have played around with this.
Here's what was changed:
- Larger fonts. Names now appear 20% larger than our default font size, and the dates and locations are our normal font size rather than in the smaller font size.
- Gender indicators. If the person's tree is public or you're the profile manager, you can see whether the person is male, female, or unknown by the blue, pink, or green background on their name.
- Privacy icons have moved. The search results used to appear as if they were in a bulleted list, with the bullets being our colored privacy indicators. These colored dots now appear after the names and dates.
- Direct editing links. If you're logged-in and you're the manager or the profile is Open, there is an icon that takes you directly to the profile's edit page.
- Family Tree and Tools links. If the person has at least one parent and a public family tree, there is an icon that takes you directly to their family tree page, which links to all the other tools and views for the person.
- WikiTree IDs. If you're logged-in you can see the profile's WikiTree ID without needing to click the merging and matching options.
- Image icons. If the person has any photos or images associated with them there is an image icon.
- Active member indicators. If the person is an active member, "Active" will appear by their name along with their contribution count. Clicking it will take you to their contributions page.
- Horizontal lines. To help visually separate the now-crowded search result items, there is a one-pixel grey line beneath each one.
Try some searches and let me know what you think below. As I said, most of what was done here is easy to change.
I'm aware that search results may seem busy now, i.e. with too much going on. Too much clutter. We could eliminate some of what was added above. Or maybe we could have some links and information appear in a new pop-up, similar to what we're now doing with DNA info? Ideas for how exactly this might work?
Feel free to make other suggestions too. (But let's keep this G2G discussion related to how search results appear, as opposed to who comes up for what searches or other search options you might like to see. You might want to post those suggestions as new G2G questions, if they haven't already been discussed. If they have been discussed but you want to help prioritize them, you might try to collect, summarize and link all similar suggestions into one new post. Thanks!)