Can one change a wrongly spelt surname?

+3 votes
Once an individual has been created, is it possible to correct the spelling of the name at birth?

This is not an academic question. A profile was created for my grandfather on the basis of his name appearing on a death notice as married to a daughter of the deceased. His surname was spelt wrong. The misspelling was a common one at the time, and one that particularly annoyed him. He took steps to have official records corrected on several occasions.

I have edited his surname, but he now shows up as "Janse van Rensburg (formerly Jansen van Rensburg)". I have asked the profile manager to change it but fear that it may be impossible to do so. Certainly if someone asked me to do it on a profile of mine I would not know what to do.
WikiTree profile: Izak Janse van Rensburg
in Policy and Style by Dirk Laurie G2G6 Mach 3 (35.8k points)
retagged by Ellen Smith
In the mean time, while you're waiting, you can put the correct spelling in the 'Other last names' field ...

1 Answer

+7 votes
Only a profile manager can change the Last Name At Birth. The edit button is hidden for all other members. I would either post a comment on the profile or send a private message to the profile manager.

So a change is certainly possible .
by Jan Terink G2G6 Pilot (261k points)

Related questions

+1 vote
1 answer
91 views asked Aug 24, 2013 in Genealogy Help by anonymous G2G Rookie (170 points)
+1 vote
2 answers
150 views asked Nov 8, 2018 in Genealogy Help by Navarro Mariott G2G6 Pilot (148k points)
+1 vote
0 answers
+2 votes
1 answer
67 views asked May 20, 2020 in WikiTree Help by Sally Gearin G2G Rookie (190 points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright