Need Culpeper, VA records for John Brown - Revolutionary War Soldier

+4 votes
There are sources from family histories at DAR and elsewhere but these do not meet standards even though they were good enough to qualify people when standards were lower.  This will probably require lookups in Culpeper, Virginia and possibly location of a grave stone.

His wife was Lucy Doggett from Caroline Co. VA so lookups there might reveal a marriage.
WikiTree profile: John Brown
in Genealogy Help by Thom Anderson G2G6 Mach 5 (56.6k points)

4 Answers

+2 votes
Best answer
This link may give you someone to contact:
by Doug Lockwood G2G Astronaut (2.4m points)
selected by Brian Brown
Yes, I had seen that.  The web site seems to have been dead for about five years but I was able to find at least one contact (hopefully, his email is not dead).

+1 vote
I just found some information from the state of Virginia.  I think the Library of Virginia.

I had ancestors there-then also. Some joined the Continental Army and at least one joined the Virginia Militia. Apparently the Militia Records were lost in a Civil War fire.

I'm sorry I can't remember more details. Hopefully that tidbit can help.
by V Long G2G1 (1.4k points)
+3 votes
His Rev War pension was S-6735. His application gives his birthdate as 15 Oct 1759 in Culpepper Co., VA. He received pension on 22 Aug 1832 while still a resident of Culpepper Co. Unfortunately his file dies not give any information on a spouse or parents.  He referred to an aunt but not by name.
by Karen Raichle G2G6 Mach 7 (75.5k points)
Yes, thanks.  That he was a soldier during the war is sufficiently documented.  The problem lies in documenting his parental relationship to John Doggett Brown the son who he had with his wife Lucy Doggett.  I just searched the courthouse records in Culpeper, and they have nothing (most records were burned by the Yankees during the War of Northern Aggression).  There is an off chance that this link will show up in the records of John Doggett Brown's marriage to Catherine Sample in 1812 in Loudoun Co.  If those records only contain the marriage return, it will not be fruitful but of the marriage bond is available, it might have the father's name.
+1 vote
There is a ledger of Pension Payments to Revolutionary War soldiers.  I have had on 2 occasions a note on these files that indicate that the family received the last payment. in both cases it was accompnied by a document from a local judge certifying that the person to receive the payment was a relative.  In one Culpepper Co case it named all his children.

Only if the payment ledger indicates that a last payment was made then you have to write for copies.  Last I heard they were loose papers in file boxes.
by John Hogg G2G Crew (960 points)

Related questions

+4 votes
1 answer
327 views asked May 26, 2012 in Genealogy Help by Lindsay Tyrie G2G6 Mach 1 (18.1k points)
+4 votes
1 answer
+4 votes
2 answers

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright