Thanks Paula, Here is some info I found on your guy's business:
Burtles & Tate
Burtles & Tate were based in Poland Street, Ancoats, and started business circa 1858. Thomas Burtles was from Greenock, Scotland, though the family were originally from Warrington and had spent some time in the Warrington glass industry in the early 19th century. The Scotland connection may come from the Geddes family, who co-owned Perrin & Geddes in Warrington, and were active in Scottish glass as well, and may have encouraged two way movement between the areas. Matthew Tate was from Newcastle. An early dissolution notice from November 1860 shows they were also in business with a Samuel Walton, who left the partnership at this time. They were then joined by a John Davison who died in 1865.
On the 1861 census Matthew Tate was listed as a glass manufacturer employing 8 men and 6 boys. If this was the sum total of employees at the firm, the company must have been a very small enterprise in its early days. On the 1881 census, the company head Richard Burtles claimed to employ 80 men 48 boys and 11 women.
The Burtles family eventually took control of the firm, and when they listed publically in 1916 at a value of £17,000, all the share capital was distributed between sixteen Burtles family members. The largest shareholding belonged to Richard Burtles, with Charles William Burtles acting as company manager.
The company may well have listed to raise money during the war. Within a year they had arranged a loan from the bank against the value of the company land and factory, and soon after they raised a further sum against another set of land with properties in the Jersey Street and Oldham Road area. Although they paid some of it back it looks like the bankers called in the loans and the company went into voluntary liquidation in October 1924, with the company being taken over by Butterworths.
Burtles, Tate & Co.: This company was located in Manchester, England. In 1891, the company’s new “Topas Opalescent” ware was described as a ‘striking imitation of the old Venetina Topas’. (from The Identification of English Pressed Glass, 1842-1908, by Jenny Thompson) Thompson: “In reality, it was similar to the Davidson Pearline of 1889, although the Burtles, Tate & Co. pieces are considerably harder to find today.” The elephant flower holder design was registered on 12/28/1886 as Rd. 64234. The mermaid flower trough features a motif of shells along the sides of the boat, with a mermaid masthead at each end. The sugar bowl has been given the generic name of PINWHEEL. There is no Rd. number on the sugar bowl. Other pieces known to exist by this company include a flower shoe (Rd 65455), another style of boat (Rd. 29106), wall bracket (Rd. 39807) and a swan (Rd. 20086).
Elephant flower holder (Rd. 64234)
Mermaid flower holder (Rd. 44445)
Shoe flower vase (Rd. 65455)
Flower Trough in boat shape (Rd. 29106)
Wall bracket for flowers (Rd. 39807)
Swan flower vase (Rd. 20086)
In 1885 Burtles and Tate in Manchester, England, registered a swan novelty. They are much sought-after items, and are known in clear (crystal) opalescent, rose pink opalescent and vaseline opalescent. Three sizes of swan are reported. The design was for a “glass flower holder”, and the Registered Design number is normally found moulded in a rectangle on the base (“Rd. No. 20086”). As the picture below shows, their design is extremely similar to the Carnival Glass Swans that were subsequently made by Dugan and Fenton in the USA.
Burtles and Tate Swans (small size). Clear opalescent, vaseline opalescent and rose pink opalescent.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/these-people-love-to-collect-radioactive-glass/ has a larger photo of the elephant