Trying to Trace a Female Who Married in England 1837-1911?

+8 votes

It is great that England has the GRO records indexed, but it can be difficult to determine which of the possible men a woman married, especially if you are working with a common name.  An addition to the GRO index may help you with that problem.

Peter Calver has good primer on how to use the GRO records to figured out who your female relative married.  Read his article:

MASTERCLASS: Tracking female relatives who married between 1837-1911

in The Tree House by Vic Watt G2G6 Pilot (331k points)
retagged by Vic Watt
Good article. I have  also found the new GRO index very useful already.

2 Answers

0 votes
I sometimes try and find a death for her under the possible married names but it does not always work especially as you rightly said Vic with the common names
by Steph Meredith G2G6 Mach 8 (82.5k points)
+1 vote
If there are known children, look in the GRO index for their births. The birth registration gives the mothers maiden name. If you can find several children in the family with a mother with the same maiden name, especially if they are born in the right registration area. you have found the name you are looking for.
by Joan Whitaker G2G6 Pilot (118k points)

Related questions

+11 votes
0 answers
276 views asked Dec 10, 2016 in The Tree House by Vic Watt G2G6 Pilot (331k points)
+3 votes
2 answers
192 views asked Aug 2, 2018 in Policy and Style by Marjorie Gibbon G2G6 Mach 1 (10.2k points)
+3 votes
5 answers
+8 votes
0 answers
85 views asked Feb 16 in Appreciation by George Fulton G2G6 Pilot (416k points)
+6 votes
3 answers
157 views asked Nov 5, 2017 in The Tree House by Steph Meredith G2G6 Mach 8 (82.5k points)
+4 votes
2 answers
104 views asked Apr 4, 2018 in Genealogy Help by Monica Edmunds G2G6 Mach 3 (30.5k points)
+2 votes
2 answers
128 views asked Oct 3, 2020 in Genealogy Help by László Kóczy G2G6 Mach 1 (10.1k points)
+4 votes
2 answers
+8 votes
4 answers
205 views asked May 18, 2018 in Genealogy Help by Shaun Doust G2G6 Pilot (345k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright