Should you order your ancestor's Social Security Application?

+10 votes

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience ordering my ancestor's SS-5 form, also known as the original application for a Social Security card. These aren't available online or in person - you have to order it from the Social Security Administration.

Why order it?

The SS-5 form I received has some important information - birth date, birth town and country, employer, full name of father, and full maiden name of mother. Apparently the amount of information varies over time - my great-grandfather filed his form in 1936, right when the Social Security program began.

Can I order the SS-5 form?

That depends on if your ancestor has passed away. If your ancestor is still living, you cannot request the form (perhaps they can themselves).

If your ancestor has passed away, you can order the form -  the process is much easier if your ancestor is listed in one of the Social Security death indices, otherwise you have to provide proof of death.

  • If your ancestor was born less than 100 years ago, you also have to provide proof their parents have passed away or their names will be redacted - for immigrants, getting the parents' information is one of the biggest benefits of the form.
  • If your ancestor was born more than 100 years ago, you should be able to order the full, unredacted form. 

How do I order the form?


The online form to order is here (form SSA-771). The online form should get you faster results - the only caveat is that if you need to prove the individual has passed away, you can't attach anything. In that case you should use the paper form. 


What? It's $21 to order the form?


Yes, unfortunately. It would make sense to me to just make all records older than 100 years public, if the individual is in the death index as well. 


The Legal Genealogist also has a good write-up here

asked Feb 17 in The Tree House by Andrew Van Duyn G2G6 (6,450 points)
edited Feb 17 by Andrew Van Duyn
I've ordered some over the years (they used to be $7!), and they've been very helpful.

2 Answers

+2 votes has a collection of this information as well. It costs through membership though.
answered Feb 17 by Brett Rutherford G2G6 Pilot (116,090 points)
Thanks, Brett - To my knowledge the information on Ancestry varies - there is more information if one of your relatives filed a Social Security claim, as opposed to just the death index. However, I don't think the original SS-5 forms are uploaded to Ancestry.
+1 vote
I agree on ordering it. That application helped me break a brick wall due to it. Although interestingly my great grandfather is not listed in the SS app files on ancestry.
answered Apr 17 by Charlotte Shockey G2G6 Pilot (428,500 points)

Related questions

+7 votes
3 answers
117 views asked Jul 26, 2016 in Genealogy Help by Chris Hampson G2G6 Mach 6 (67,320 points)
+12 votes
0 answers
+20 votes
1 answer
113 views asked Dec 29, 2015 in The Tree House by Vic Watt G2G6 Pilot (281,450 points)
+2 votes
2 answers
+11 votes
1 answer
+10 votes
5 answers
+4 votes
5 answers
200 views asked Jul 10, 2014 in Genealogy Help by Michael Hruska G2G6 Mach 4 (48,590 points)
+6 votes
1 answer
94 views asked Jan 30, 2014 in Genealogy Help by Lauren Conte G2G6 Pilot (102,460 points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright