what is the procedure for changing ancester

+1 vote
in Genealogy Help by Tom Coley G2G5 (5.4k points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Tom -

Thanks for your question.  I'll be happy to help, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  Are you trying to change or remove a parent, sibling or child from a profile?


by Allen Minix G2G6 Mach 1 (17.4k points)
I want change.  For instance if I have Joe as father of Bill and thendiscover Bob is father ofbill and jack is father ofbob and Joe is really father of jack. How do I change this without having to re~enter 20 generations of ancestors?
Tom -

Thanks for the clarification.  There are two ways that this can be accomplished.  If you simply find that someone is not the parent, but is listed as such, just click on the "edit" link next to the parent that you want to remove.  

On the next screen, you can either replace them with the correct parent, or remove them completely.  To replace them, in the top part of the page (Replace father/mother for...) you can either enter a WikiTree ID for someone that you've already created a profile for and simply click Add, or you can enter the information for a new profile and click add.

If you need to simply remove the existing parent, go down to the bottom half of the screen (Remove father/mother) and click the remove button.

Hope this helps!

Related questions

+4 votes
4 answers
514 views asked May 3, 2018 in Genealogy Help by Helen Holt G2G6 (6.4k points)
+8 votes
3 answers
266 views asked Dec 23, 2020 in Policy and Style by Anonymous Baker G2G6 Mach 1 (14.1k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright