M. and Mme. LeBleu of Bordeaux, France were the first recorded Europeans to settle the area around 1781 [Note There is some confusion re Barthelemy LeBleu and Martin Camersac LeBleu who had natural children with Josette Lamirande who married Barthelemy LeBleu at Pointe Coupee in 1769]. The area they settled is now known as the LeBleu Settlement. Charles Sallier married LeBleu's daughter, Catherine. The Salliers built their home on the shell beach where Lake Charles now stands. Afterwards, the lake became known as "Charlie's lake". By 1860 this area was being called "Charles Town". Many of Charles Sallier's descendants are buied in Sallier Cemetery, near St. Patrick's Hospital.
The Rio Hondo, which flowed through Lake Charles, was later called Quelqueshue, an Indian term meaning "Crying Eagle", and still later, Calcasieu. On March 7, 1861, Lake Charles was incorporated as the town of Charleston, Louisiana. On March 16, 1867, Charleston, Louisiana, was incorporated into the town of Lake Charles