How do I add children to their biological parents who were never legally married to each other [closed]

+8 votes
I have 2 people who lived together in London during the 1850s and into the 1860s but who were never legally married to each other. They had at least 7 kids as seen in the 1861 census records. Since both of the parents were married to other people but not living with them. I need to know how to record this on wikitree.

I need these people because one of their sons continues the line down to the present time for the Notable I am following. (Charles Dance). Charles made a WDYTYA epiode earlier this year and I believe it showed on the BBC in June. It is also on Youtube.
WikiTree profile: Emma Booth
closed with the note: Question has been answered!!
in Genealogy Help by Robynne Lozier G2G Astronaut (1.2m points)
closed by Robynne Lozier

2 Answers

+12 votes
Best answer
Robynne, you can add the children to each parent separately or add the mother and father to each child separately.

When adding children, look for the checkbox above the ADD CHILD OF ... button that says "Uncheck this if ____ is not the other parent" to prevent the spouse of one parent from being connected as the child's other parent.

When adding parents, look for the checkbox that says "____ is the father's spouse" to prevent one parent from being connected as the other parent's spouse since they never actually married.

By unchecking these boxes, you'll avoid making extra relationships and each child will have the correct mother and father.
by Karen Lowe G2G6 Pilot (186k points)
selected by Robynne Lozier
Thank you Karen. That is exactly what I needed.
OH MY!!!  I just posted a Help Help Help and it was regarding a Dance family.  LOL.  But this question is very similar to mine.  But it's causing a great mess.  Can't believe that we are working on families with the same name and same issues. LOL.  But ours are in Canada not England, and I don't think notable.
I have not been able to find much on the Dance side of Charles Dance's family anyway so you are not missing anything. LOL
AHH, it's even weirder.  I just got a copy in my email inbox regarding your answer.   I forgot to mention the THOMPSON part of my mystery. LOLOLOL
+5 votes

Try this page. There are some links to other situations (specifically unmarried parents) at the bottom of the page also.

by Anne B G2G Astronaut (1.3m points)

Related questions

+9 votes
2 answers
185 views asked Aug 16, 2021 in Genealogy Help by GeneJ X G2G6 Pilot (115k points)
+8 votes
2 answers
+4 votes
1 answer
207 views asked Jul 8, 2018 in Genealogy Help by anonymous G2G Rookie (250 points)
+8 votes
3 answers
428 views asked Sep 19, 2017 in Genealogy Help by Living Bale G2G6 (7.0k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright