I'm trying to determine if Susanna Margareta (Lapish) Comber was actually born in Buenos Aires or if that may have been a transcription error. The fact it shows up in multiple censuses may make it unlikely, but I'm unsure as to the reason why her parents would have been shuttling back and forth between England and Buenos Aires.
- 1881 England Census and 1901 England Census indicate Susanna was born in South America or Buenos Aires in 1874.
- Susanna Margaret Lapish was baptised in Yorkshire, England in April of 1876 (confirmed this is her.)
- Susanna's sister Isabel, who also shows as being born in Buenos Aires in the 1881 Census, was supposedly born in 1878.
- Susanna's last sister, Lola Maria, was born in Islington in England in 1880.
- From the looks of this, Susanna's parents Benjamin and Emma were in Buenos Aires for a few years around 1874, returned briefly to England around 1876 and then were back in Buenos Aires around 1878 for the birth of their next daughter Isabel and then back in England in 1880 for Lola's birth. Is this feasible? Benjamin is noted as a quarry owner in 1871 and his wife is noted as a cab proprietor's wife in 1881 (Benjamin does not show up in this Census.)
- Susanna and her husband show up in the 1901 Census and all their children show up as born in South America.
- Susanna's kids are with their grandmother, Emma, in 1911 and still show as being born in South America/Buenos Aires.
Any ideas as to if this is legit or reasons why the family would be taking this frequent trip on? They seem fairly well-off, money wise. Benjamin's father was a stone mason/stone merchant.
There are more records linked on each profile, but here is a copy/paste of Susanna's:
• "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," database, FamilySearch (
: 30 December 2014, Susannah Margareta Lapish, ); citing Shipley, Birstall, York, England, index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society
of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 6,358,538.
• "England and Wales Census, 1881," database with images, FamilySearch (
: 20 August 2016), Susanah Lapish in household of Emma Lapish, Islington, London,Middlesex, England; from "1881 England, Scotland and Wales census," database
and images, findmypast (
: n.d.); citing p. 46, Piece/Folio 247/49, The National Archives, Kew, Surrey; FHL microfilm 101,774,223.
• "England and Wales Census, 1901," database, FamilySearch (
: 8 April 2016), Susannah Margareta Comber in household of Frederick Walter Comber, Burton Joyce, Nottinghamshire, England; from "1901 England, Scotland
and Wales census," database and images, findmypast (
: n.d.); citing Carlton subdistrict, PRO RG 13, The National Archives, Kew, Surrey.
• "England, London Electoral Registers, 1847-1913", database with images, FamilySearch (
: 15 April 2015), Sussannah Marguerita Comber, 1913.