Alright. I'm wondering if a mistake is lingering somewhere or if this is correct.
My ancestor, George Hatherly, was born in September of 1809 or 1810 in Devonshire, England. He later moved to Ontario and then to Michigan, where he died.
- I found a baptismal record for a George Hatherly that was baptized in Shebbear in December of 1810. Parents noted as John and Margaret.
- I found the marriage record for John and Margaret and they were married in July of 1810. This would make Margaret already pregnant when they got married - is this a normal happenstance or perhaps a mistake somewhere in the transcriptions?
- George Hatherly's death record indicates his father is William, though a previous G2G conversation seemed to indicate this was likely a mistake and his father really was John, not William.
- I tried to see about going a further generation back from John and I found a potential baptismal record for one John Hatherly born in 1785 that had parents William and Elizabeth. Could be where "William" came from? I do not know.
Any help sorting this out is appreciated. I'm trying to see if I can go back another generation from John or if I perhaps have the wrong set of parents.
This is John/Margaret marriage record:
• "England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," database, FamilySearch (
: 10 December 2014), John Hatherly and Margaret Edmonds, 15 Jul 1810; citing Shebbear,Devon,England, reference ; FHL microfilm 916,933.
This is the birth/baptismal record for George:
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J3XG-BLM
: 30 December 2014, George Hatherley, 31 Dec 1810); citing SHEBBEAR,DEVON,ENGLAND, index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 916,933.
Lots more sources for George linked on his profile.