Join in on this week's 24-hour Saturday Sourcing Sprint!
It's basically a casual mini Source-a-Thon.
When it's Saturday where you are, get sourcing!
(And quit when it's Sunday :D )
You only need to answer the post once in this thread, including your team name and time zone (GMT standard). We have decided to use the Challenge Tracker to record the profiles we sources. You can continue commenting in your answer regarding successes, discrepancies, stories that tug at your heart strings, and new amazing sources. We also have a Google Hangout if you'd like to join us. It will be as busy or quiet as we make it.
* All profiles improved must come from the Unsourced categories or be already present on WikiTree and unsourced - you cannot create new profiles and add sources just to up your tally. The hope and goal is to improve the profiles already on WikiTree which need sources. Other great ways to find unsourced profiles are to check out orphaned profiles and use the Unsourced by Country lists which Aleš prepares for us..
*Remember, your sources need to be as full and specific as possible, so others find them useful. That means, if the source is online, you should link to it. If it is a page from a book, the page number should be included so others can easily see where you found the reference.
* The tally is of profiles improved, not sources added. That said, if you can add a number of sources to a profile, all the better. When you save the profile, a green bar will appear at the top. Click the Challenge Tracker button, add or verify your WikiTreeID, select a pre-defined comment or add your own to indicate which type(s) of source(s) you added, put a check mark in the "Saturday Sourcing Sprint" box, and click "Add Action." If you participate in the Monthly Sourcerers' Challenge you can click both boxes.
* If you attempt to add sources to a profile and just cannot find any, please add a note under a section like == Research Notes == giving where you tried to find records and you can sign it with the four tildes (~~~~) so the date is applied as well. Something like "Looked for John in the US Census records for 1900-1940 and couldn't find him on FamilySearch or Ancestry" would be fine. Or, "Searched google for an obituary and didn't find one." That way the next researcher knows where to start. These don't count toward your total but will help improve our shared WikiTree overall!
* If the only source on a profile is "Ancestry tree," "Geni.com," Ancestry search results page, "Pedigree Resource Files" from FamilySearch, and the like, it does count as unsourced. Add some sources to it and include the profile in your tally. Likewise, in no way is adding one of those or comparable things an acceptable source. If one of those is added, it should go in a == Research Notes == section and the template should stay or be added.
* If you find a match and can merge a profile into an already sourced profile, that counts too. You still found a source, plus you eliminated a duplicate. To get to the Challenge Tracker for these, clean up the merged profile and then click the Challenge Tracker.
The Sprint tracking page will be updated after the sprint is over. Once that is done, a best answer will be awarded to the Sprinter who sources the most profiles and, if it is the first time winning, the Saturday Sourcing Sprints Winner badge will be awarded. You can track your progress on the Challenge Tracker report.