What is needed in the GEDCOM to link a child to parents?

+1 vote
The GEDCOM format typically connects a person to their families (the FAMC and FAMS tags in the individual), as well as linking families to the persons (the HUSB, WIFE, CHIL tags under the FAM).  Does the GEDCOM import require both of these, or only one?  Presumably the FAM is needed to get the marriage details.  Is this sufficient to create the links as well?
in Genealogy Help by David Morgan G2G Crew (700 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Hi David,

Yes, the FAMily records are necessary.

INDIviduals are connected to families, e.g I could be the FAMS in family X and a FAMC in family Y. Then under FAM X and FAM Y you see the husband, wife, and children.

by Chris Whitten G2G Astronaut (1.4m points)

Related questions

+4 votes
2 answers
153 views asked Feb 22, 2014 in WikiTree Tech by Lynn Winter G2G Crew (740 points)
+2 votes
1 answer
95 views asked Jan 8, 2021 in Genealogy Help by Marinda De Vos G2G Crew (500 points)
+2 votes
1 answer
102 views asked Aug 2, 2017 in WikiTree Tech by Glen Campbell G2G1 (1.3k points)
+6 votes
1 answer
68 views asked Mar 15, 2016 in Policy and Style by Sheila McCarthy G2G2 (2.4k points)
+7 votes
2 answers

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright