I understand the desire to protect against careless merges, but this situation can be extremely frustrating and I truly hope it will be functionally addressed. A significant amount of time (and effort) went into the research required before proposing a merge of Dyer-6042 into Dyer-2054, waiting for a response (which did not come) from the other profile manager, and waiting out the 30 days... then ultimately assuming I could complete the merge (I did not see any warning that it was required to be on the Trusted List for the other profile!), only to find on completion that I had earned the dreaded "Permission Denied".
Frankly IMHO when a response is not received, I would much prefer that after 30 days with no response, the Trusted List requirement be waived. "Public" is a very low level of privacy and it seems to me little would be lost, and a great deal of frustration avoided, if this change were made... or at least, if some _streamlined process_ could be put in place by which a waiver could be swiftly requested and approved.
(I will acknowledge that the above merge is an unusual situation involving a complex mix of wrong-gender-at-birth and multiple-naming factors, but I had spelled that out in both the merge proposal and, especially, the bio of the profile I manage... which I had deliberately left open. I confess I have difficulty understanding why there is a need to add any degree of privacy to the profile of an unnamed -- and mis-gendered -- infant who appears only in a birth record.)