Would a person other than an aristocrat be given the pre fix of Honorable in Scotland circa 1800.

+5 votes
I was going throught the Valuation Rolls and found a possible ancestors name in Blairgowrie Scotland, but the names is labeled Honorable David Ogilvie. As far as I know my Ogilvie's were farmers. David did serve in the in I believe the War of 1812, or perhaps the Penisular Wars.  Would a solider recieve Hon in his home?

Durning that time period the Earl of Airlie was a David as well. Would it more likely be this David?

Thank You
WikiTree profile: David Ogilvie
in Genealogy Help by Julia Hogston G2G6 Mach 1 (12.3k points)

2 Answers

+7 votes
Best answer

Sons of Earls are entitled to the title honourable but as you say the de jure Earl at the time was a David Ogilvie (the attainder after the Jacobite Rebellion wasn't apparently reversed until 1826) I've no idea what he was entitled to call himself or more to the point what the local officials would have used. ( His heir was a Walter  but of course he may have had other sons)

Very  few people owned land in Scotland at the time. The  National Records of Scotland suggests it is as low as 3% in the 18thC. https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/valuation-rolls/valuation-rolls-before-1855

 Also the  land held was in Clunie  https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/land-tax-rolls-1645-1831/land-tax-rolls-perthshire-volume-03/8 

 Clunie Castle and presumably lands belonging to it was owned by the Earl of Airlie

(so I think more probably The Earl or a son of his)

by Helen Ford G2G6 Pilot (348k points)
selected by Brian Robertson
Hi Helen,

Thank you, that is what I figured, but I didn't want to pass up a lead that might be one of our direct line. This search in Scotland if fairly new to me as to records and their meanings. Back to the drawing board!

The naming tradtions make it even harder  :D

Have a great day and thanks again
+5 votes
The term "Honourable" is used both in law and in the church.

It can be used in circumstances when speaking of a man who does not work with his hands for a living. In which case, Mr. John Smith Esq. would be spoken of as "The Hon. John Smith.
by Valerie Willis G2G6 Mach 7 (79.8k points)
Hi Valerie,

I am sorry for being so slow to commenting. Thank you so much for your input it helped.
Sorry but that is wrong. Nothing whatever to do with not working with your hands! Usually sons of peers  are styled "The Honourable". Members of Parliament are traditionally styled "The Honourable" while those holding office, i.e: Ministers, Secretaries of State etc, are "The Right Honourable". A Priest is not styled using these prefixes. He is the Reverend or sometimes the Reverend Father. A Bishop is styled "The Rt Honourable The Bishop of X".

The only people in the law who are styled honourable are judges and those of equivalent stature.

Related questions

+5 votes
5 answers
362 views asked Oct 11, 2017 in Genealogy Help by Julia Hogston G2G6 Mach 1 (12.3k points)
+2 votes
0 answers
75 views asked Nov 9, 2020 in Genealogy Help by Amy Gilpin G2G6 Pilot (131k points)
+1 vote
4 answers
158 views asked Jul 31, 2020 in Genealogy Help by Julia Hogston G2G6 Mach 1 (12.3k points)
+10 votes
4 answers
103 views asked May 24, 2020 in Photos by Julia Hogston G2G6 Mach 1 (12.3k points)
0 votes
0 answers
78 views asked Oct 1, 2019 in Genealogy Help by Michael Moss
+11 votes
4 answers
234 views asked Oct 21, 2016 in The Tree House by Greg Slade G2G6 Pilot (450k points)
+2 votes
0 answers
91 views asked Jul 9, 2013 in Genealogy Help by Rena Donze G2G6 (6.8k points)
0 votes
1 answer

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright