How do I get my dads discharge papers

+7 votes
My dad was in the Navy around the 1950-?. Not sure when he was discharged, I know him and my mom was married around 1955-56. I just can not find any information on him. He was a mechanical engineer or something like that. He worked on the engines of the submarines and ships. I was told he was dis-honorably discharged. My younger sister has his discharge papers but she isn't up for sharing.
WikiTree profile: James Moore
in Genealogy Help by Dallace Moore G2G6 Pilot (127k points)
retagged by Ellen Smith
Dallace, my family is like that too.  Hang in there.
Thanks Robin, I'm good. I can find other ways to get things I need.

It really is a shame family has to be selfish.

2 Answers

+11 votes
Best answer
by Kitty Smith G2G6 Pilot (586k points)
selected by Natalie Trott
Thanks Kitty, This will help a great deal. now just need to mail the signature paper before 30 days.
+6 votes
Kitty Smith's answer is the right one. You are luck you are looking for Navy records. Army and Air Force records were about 80% destroyed.
by Doug McCallum G2G6 Pilot (448k points)
Oh wow sorry to hear that Doug.
There was a major fire at the Saint Louis Archives in 1973.
Yeah - very sad. So much history lost in that fire. They have attempted to recreate some of the records lost and continue to attempt to help if someone wants documents from that period. Just hard to do much of anything if the one and only source copy was located there.

Related questions

+7 votes
2 answers
+4 votes
2 answers
+4 votes
1 answer
135 views asked Jan 20, 2018 in Genealogy Help by Eric Hoffman G2G6 Mach 1 (18.7k points)
+11 votes
0 answers

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright