how do you change a relationship in a tree?

+3 votes
I set up a new ancestor who looked at first like he was the father of my oldest. Later I learned that he was actually the brother.

Question is, how do I fix this without doing all the work completely over from scratch?

The person is Richard Bird in the URL below. I want to make this Richard to be the brother of Bird-6740 instead of the father.
WikiTree profile: Richard Bird
in WikiTree Help by David Bird G2G Crew (970 points)
recategorized by Jillaine Smith

1 Answer

+6 votes
Best answer
Go to the edit page of Bird-6740, down the right hand side you will see the father listed. Underneath his name, there is a replace/remove link. Click that, then either

add the profile number of the new father in the box at A, or

scroll down and click to remove the current father, if you don't have a new father to add yet.

You will need to add a father in order to link the two brothers. If you don't know his forename, you could add Unknown Bird as the father to the two, and add his forename later when it is known.
by Gillian Causier G2G6 Pilot (260k points)
selected by David Bird
Thank you. Works perfectly.

Related questions

+3 votes
1 answer
140 views asked Oct 8, 2017 in Genealogy Help by Janace White G2G5 (5.8k points)
+5 votes
1 answer
267 views asked Dec 26, 2017 in Photos by H. Bird G2G1 (1.7k points)
+2 votes
1 answer
+6 votes
2 answers
50 views asked May 21 in The Tree House by Denise Montour G2G Crew (340 points)
+4 votes
2 answers
194 views asked Jun 22, 2021 in The Tree House by Cheryl Cruise G2G6 Pilot (123k points)
+4 votes
0 answers
141 views asked Apr 20, 2021 in Genealogy Help by Jan Bone G2G Rookie (250 points)
+9 votes
2 answers
0 votes
1 answer
106 views asked Apr 24, 2020 in Genealogy Help by Rachael Winslow G2G3 (3.7k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright