Baldwin de Meulles was second cousin of Wm. the Conqueror and was at Hastings. Also present was Roger de Meulles, the name from a barony in Normandie. In 1067 King William awarded Baldwin 100,000 acres of land spoils and proclaimed him High Sheriff of Devonshire where most of the land was located. By Domesday Survey in 1086, Roger de Meulles was a subtenant of Baldwin and successive generations of his descendants held those lands through the fifteenth century. As landed gentry, throughout the Middle Ages those descendants were recorded in legal, phonetic Latin as MOLIS, usually, sometimes MOLES, and as English supplanted French as official language and became standardized, the surnames MULES, MULLES, MULLIS and MULLIES ensued. Due to inheritance law, only the branch spelled MULES retained the ancient lands and heraldic rights, while the Mulles, Mullis and Mullies cadet branches descended into the commons, commencing in the fourteenth century in Cornwall County. Those families have been tracked in manor lease rolls from 1483 in the parish of Michaelstow and from Parish Registers there and adjoining parishes of Altarnun, St. Breward and St Teath. This surname history would be better known if Baldwin de Meulles had been addressed by historians by that name rather than as Baldwin de Brionne (his father), Baldwin de Exeter, or B. the Sheriff, as has been the case generally.