Help with wording of significant other

+7 votes
How do you state that someone (died in 2014) was never married, but lived with xxx?  I stated: Never married but lived with (inserted name here) .  I don't know how to word it any other way.  Can someone please help me with this?
in Genealogy Help by Debra Pate G2G6 Mach 2 (25.5k points)
retagged by Ellen Smith

4 Answers

+6 votes
I have seen this situation,often it is called they were partners.Seen other

situation where ,it was not called something not very nice.
by Wayne Morgan G2G Astronaut (1.1m points)
+8 votes

Hi Debra,

I really think some profiles this recent (who are maybe younger people?), are emotional, I've so far not added profiles of my family who died young fairly recently as what I believe for profiles and what I feel are different if that makes sense? I think what you've put is factually and biographically right. It's probably tempting to add too much emotional detail. If they had children they will be linked through them (all though their profiles will probably be private) if they were engaged add this in the bio etc etc.

If your profile is of someone older I would keep it the same but put in biography any previous marriages, children etc.

Like you've said, keep it factual!


by Lizzie Griffiths G2G6 Pilot (131k points)
+5 votes
Either say they were partners or that they lived together. It is a fairly common status these days, so most genealogy software actually has a relationship setting for partner as an option.
by Lynda Crackett G2G6 Pilot (682k points)
+2 votes

There is also the notion of "common law marriage," which was used more in the last century.  See Wikipedia on Common Law Marriage

Many times you can find court records, especially probate records, regarding the union.

by Teresa Conant G2G6 Mach 9 (94.6k points)
Common law marriages are very location dependent. At the time of the death mentioned (2014) there were only 10 states and the District of Columbia where they could have been married that way. We would need more info before that could be considered and then there is whether it actually took place. The rules on that vary by locale.

You are absolutely correct! 

However, I have been using the USGS maps (U.S. Dept. Geological Survey) a lot lately and found them invaluable in my research.  For example, 150 years ago there were "clusters" of my family in various parts of the country.  I can order maps for a given date and area (almost all are FREE to download, but huge files) which go to the house level, showing many things in the surrounding area as points of reference.  So occupations, plots of land, railroads (many no longer in existence), factories, schools, etc. are on these maps.  They give me a context to further inquire exactly where various relatives were located (coinciding with census and other data) and then allow me to check local land title, probate court records, university and other archives, etc. 

It helps me to fill in some of the "hard to collect" information, such as common law marriages.  So far I know of no common law marriages for my direct ancestors, but I'm sure they can be used if needed.

Canada and other countries also recognize common law marriages. 

Agreed, not the easiest way to go about it!frown  But just a suggestion for some "brick wall" situations.

Related questions

+7 votes
1 answer
215 views asked Nov 21, 2023 in WikiTree Help by Martyn West G2G4 (4.9k points)
+8 votes
3 answers
+10 votes
1 answer
+6 votes
4 answers

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright