Through this forum I got contact with then man who works at the state archives in Gaildorf. I asked for information on my Great Grandmother who immigrated from Gaildorf to New York as stated in her passport application. I’ve been trying to find the ship she immigrated on and her parents. I believe she changed her name from Gottliebin to Marie. What do you think? Here are the facts I have.
1. All documents in the USA show her name as Marie or Mary. Her maiden name is Keubler (Kübler).
2. Her passport application states she was born in Gaildorf June 24th 1865. She immigrated 1880 to the USA.
3. She married Edmund Braendle (Brändle) 1881 in NYC. I found a reference to him getting married 1881 however no reference to his wife’s name.
4. Death certificate shows her parents names are Jacob and Rosina Kubler.
5. I know she had a sister Pauline and Pauline’s marriage certificate shows the parents names as Jacob Kuebler and Rosina Noller. Pauline married a George Strempfer and I have DNA matches here!
6. In the 1900 Census there was an Albert living with my Great Grandmother and Albert is born 1877. He is mentioned as a cousin??
Now after writing to Statsarchiv in Gaildorf, I am told there is no Marie Kübler born in Gaildorf! When I write back and give information about her sister and her parents I am sent information about Kübler family from Familienbuch ....Württemberg 1610-1920.
1. There is a Pauline with parents Jacob and Rosina. Actually Jacob first marries Rosina’s sister Catharina and after 10 yrs marries Rosina
2. Catharina and Jacob give birth to a Gottliebin with the exact same birth date as my Great Grandmother! They also give birth to a Paulina with the correct birth dates.
3. There is an Albert born to Gottliebin the same birth year of the Albert (supposedly a cousin) in the 1900 census living with my Great Grandmother.
4. I asked if maybe there were twins born to Jacob and Catharina and Marie was not recorded. I got a ”NO there were no twins. Maybe Gottliebin used her step-mother’s name when moving to the USA.”
5. I found a passage of Gottliebin together with a Lousia (one of her sister’s) immigrating to the USA in 1880 (the year Marie states she immigrated to the USA) with correct birth dates for both Marie and Lousia
So with all these points can I assume she changed her name from Gottliebin to Marie and that I have FINALLY found her!