Tips July 20
Today we are going to center on tips from the Style Guide.
1. Names: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Name_Field_Guidelines You will notice on this link there are specific guidelines for different countries and time periods. When in doubt ask a question in G2G of other members of the project the profile would belong to. Also there is more name help here https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Help:Name_Fields
2. Unknown name now has its own new project. https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Project:Unknowns and here are the guidelines for entering names of people who either do not have a surname or you do not know it:
Our system requires the basic first name and last name fields. They cannot be blank. This necessitates a few special case rules.
• If the first name or last name is unknown, use Unknown in the field. Do not use Not Sure, NN, Wife of X, Adopted, etc.
• If the first name or last name is uncertain, use the name it's suspected to be and mark the field as "uncertain." Do not use "Possibly X" or "Might be Y", etc.
• If a name is being omitted for extra privacy, use Anonymous or an initial. Do not use Living, Private, etc. See Names for Living People below.
• In rare cases where a modern person has no Current Last Name, like Madonna, use No Last Name.
• If last names weren't used in the person's time, one needs to be created. Most such profiles will come under a project, such as the European Aristocrats project (see Name Fields for European Aristocrats) and the Dutch Roots project (see Dutch Roots/Naming Convention). Check this pagefor links to other project-specific naming guidelines.
• There are no special rules for slaves. Their Last Name at Birth is often that of the slave owner. If their last name is unknown, use Unknown. See this G2G discussion: Naming conventions for slaves.
3. Surname prepositions, particles, and prefixes refer to the guide here https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Help:Name_Fields and when in doubt post a question with examples of what you might enter in G2G to see what others think.
4. First Name:
• If you're unsure of the Proper First Name, enter Unknown. If you can make an educated guess, enter that and mark the status as "uncertain". You might also wish to explain it in the biographical text. Do not use NN, or something like Twin, Daughter of X, Husband of Y, etc.
• If an infant died before he or she could be named use what is on their death record according to their conventions, otherwise use Unnamed Infant. Do not use Infant Boy, Baby Girl, etc. There is a gender field for this.
• If you want extra privacy enter Anonymous or the first initial. Do not enter Living or a fake name or alias.