Welcome to the Quakers Challenge! The challenge starts on the 1st and ends on the last day of the month.
Because profiles affected by this challenge may fall within the pre-1700 time period, please review the Pre-1700 Profiles Help Page.
This month, we are going to concentrate on adding sources to profiles that do not have the Quakers Project as a manager.
- Profiles which are unsourced or have only online family trees as a source can be included in your tally.
- Profiles do not have to be for members of the Religious Society of Friends.
- The profile must have the word Quaker somewhere on the page OR at least one source must be from records of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Being Pre-1700 Certified is not required to participate this month. Everyone who adds sources will receive the Project Recognition Sticker for August 2018. Please include "Sourcing Quakers" as part of your tracker comments.
If all the qualifying profiles on your watchlist are sourced, the Quakers Unsourced Profiles, Pennsylvania Unsourced Profiles (born 1650 or later), and specific surnames in the 17th and 18th century would be good candidates for research. For a different surname, change Fox in the text box in left column to your surname of interest.
If the word "Quaker" is in a data field (names and locations), be sure there is at least one source on the profile which explains. For instance:
- Edward Brown has the word Quaker in his death location. Find a source for that.
- William Berkbile has the word Quaker for a middle name. Find a source. If it was a note taking method, move it to the biography with an explanation.
While you are working on the profile, make other improvements when possible. For instance:
- Improve the biographies. Please review the Biographies style guide and Great Biographies examples to understand what we are trying to achieve.
- If you add a source which names other family members, check to see if their profiles exist.
- If not, add [[Category:Needs Profiles Created]] to the first line of the edit box
- If so and there are no sources, add the source. Use the tracker to count that profile if the source was Quaker records
- If you find an orphaned profile and don't want to be the manager, please post a comment in this thread. Someone will adopt it for the project
- If you are comfortable adopting and adding the project (wikitree-quakers [at] googlegroups [dot] com) as manager, please do so.
- Please do not add the project to profiles of living people, even if they are Quakers
- Add Quakers Maintenance categories by adding this category [[Category:Quakers_Needs_*]] and replacing the * with one of the following:
The Challenge Tracker option will be available. This YouTube video starting at about the 4.30 minute mark will explain how to use the tracker (earlier parts of the video explain how to find sources and add the citations to profiles). When using the Challenge Tracker, make sure to put the check mark in the square beside "Quakers Challenge" and add a comment. You can see up-to-date stats on the Quakers Challenge Tracker results page.
Please ask questions in the comments of this post. That has worked well so far, so let's continue it.