Unsupported children added to a profile

+4 votes
Today I noticed that someone had added a child born in the US to a profile I had made of a Devonshire man. There's no indication he ever left Devon. I left a message on the child's profile, but think it unlikely they will find support for it. If nothing turns up, can I simply disconnect the child?
WikiTree profile: Sally Ramsell
in Policy and Style by Monica Kanellis G2G6 Mach 3 (39.3k points)

1 Answer

+7 votes
You can.  It would be better if you discovered the parent of the child first.  Also a note on her profile that she was not the daughter of William of Devonshire would help prevent her from getting connected again in the future.
by Lucy Selvaggio-Diaz G2G6 Pilot (878k points)
Bit much even to suggest it would be better if English researchers found the parents of an American born child in order to remove them from English parents.
Thanks to both :) I second the implied motion that it would not be the best use of my time to try to sort out the American genealogy and find Sally's real parents, especially as I have no expertise whatever in those records.

If no rationale is forthcoming to make a connection seem plausible, I think I will just quietly snip the link.

I've looked at the Bideford side and think it more likely that William is the William Skriggins who wrote a will in Merton (11 miles away) in 1801 and died there rather than that he emigrated to the US. If that's the case, he would have been only about 19. Unfortunately, I think it one of the wills lost in the Exeter bombings during WWII, so no light there.
That’s an interesting take. I think the poster was suggesting that she help the misguided contributor. It is the optimal response considering the Wikitree mission of connecting on one world tree. There are platforms that specialize in solo tree management. Food for thought.
No, she was suggesting that I help the contributor. And if the family had been in England, I'd join the hunt immediately. The name is unusual and they might be related somehow.

But I don't have access to US records, my Ancestry account is UK only. There are US-focused groups on Wikitree that could help, assuming the contributor wants it. Frankly, I'm tunneling down enough rabbit holes already.

The comment was supposed to be directed to the individual that said it was a bit much to ask. I have zero desire to be argumentative with anyone. Cheers!

Related questions

+1 vote
0 answers
136 views asked Jun 25, 2023 in Genealogy Help by Bob Land G2G6 Mach 2 (24.1k points)
+5 votes
4 answers
384 views asked Oct 2, 2022 in Policy and Style by Laura Ward G2G6 Mach 4 (49.4k points)
+8 votes
1 answer
152 views asked May 6, 2020 in Policy and Style by William Lunsford G2G3 (3.5k points)
+5 votes
3 answers
+2 votes
0 answers
117 views asked Feb 11, 2018 in WikiTree Help by Zandra Baldwin G2G Crew (550 points)
+10 votes
2 answers
+10 votes
1 answer
+4 votes
2 answers

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright