I'm no sure if this will help with the whole thing or not, but I'd accidentally matched to Prudence on a GEDMatch looking for another Surname(Leeper-I'm stuck at a brick wall...so have been doing random DNA matches with various Leeper lines)
For some reason, I don't see anyone listed in Prudence's profile for DNA purposes. Is there someone here that has matched through Prudence or one of these other folks you are discussing, where I could run mine against as well? I have samples processed by 23andMe GEDmatch GA4566788 as well as AncestryDNA, GEDmatch TV9428358, and I have noticed if I jump across companies kits, the cM and numbers of pairs are lower by a whole generation (on a side note, my daughter matches me better if I jump between vendors on GEDMatch... I went and just sent off kits to MyHeritage as well as FTDNA to see how they line up as well).
Not sure if it helps all this, but it would seem that folks connected by DNA would help connect the documents and such as well. Turns out that we are both direct descendants...:
DNA Trace example to 11 generations ago (9th Great Grandma),
- Dona Brown Brown-75046 and Doug Leeper Jr. Leeper-995 are both descendants of Prudence (Lanckford) Clayton (abt.1632-aft.1689) Surrey, England. Profile: Lanckford-1
Prudence (Lanckford) Clayton was a part of William Penn's Pennsylvania Settlers community.
Comparing Kit TV1440132 (Dona Moyers) [Ancestry] and Kit TV9428358 (Douglas E Leeper Jr) [Ancestry]
Largest segment = 13.2 cM
Total Half-Match segments (HIR) 24.5cM (0.684 Pct)
4 shared segments found for this comparison.
523818 SNPs used for this comparison.
53.044 Pct SNPs are full identical
Dona and Doug are 10th cousins
1. Dona is the daughter of Robert Brown [unknown confidence]
2. Robert is the son of Roy Martin Brown (1901-1974) [unknown confidence]
3. Roy is the son of Samuel Harvel Brown (1857-1913) [unknown confidence]
4. Samuel is the son of Timothy Ellison Brown (abt.1820-1885) [unknown confidence]
5. Timothy is the son of John M. Brown (1797-1884) [unknown confidence]
6. John is the son of Timothy A Brown Jr (abt.1771-abt.1851) [unknown confidence]
7. Timothy is the son of Timothy Alexander Brown (abt.1764-abt.1818) [unknown confidence]
8. Timothy is the son of Timothy Brown (abt.1720-abt.1808) [unknown confidence]
9. Timothy is the son of Daniel Brown (abt.1693-abt.1771) [unknown confidence]
10. Daniel is the son of Honour (Clayton) Brown (1662-abt.1738) [confident]
11. Honour is the daughter of Prudence (Lanckford) Clayton (abt.1632-aft.1689) [confident]
***This makes Prudence the ninth great grandmother of Dona.
1. Doug is the son of Douglas Edwin Leeper (1941-2021) DNA confirmed
2. Douglas is the son of Lawrence E Leeper (1912-1948) DNA confirmed
3. Lawrence is the son of Nora Edith Lang (1885-1913) DNA confirmed
4. Nora is the daughter of Henrietta Hannah Etta Bell (Shockley) Lang (1864-1898) DNA confirmed
5. Henrietta is the daughter of Mary Ann (Thornburg) Shockley (1830-1905) [unknown confidence]
6. Mary is the daughter of Morgan Thornbrugh (1781-1865) [unknown confidence]
7. Morgan is the son of Rebecca (Mills) Thornbrugh (1744-abt.1821) [unknown confidence]
8. Rebecca is the daughter of Elizabeth (Harrold) Mills (1711-1771) [unknown confidence]
9. Elizabeth is the daughter of Mary (Beals) Harrold (1692-abt.1744) [unknown confidence]
10. Mary is the daughter of Mary Jane (Clayton) Beals (1665-1726) [confident]
11. Mary is the daughter of Prudence (Lanckford) Clayton (abt.1632-aft.1689) [confident]
***This makes Prudence the ninth great grandmother of Doug.
If I am butting in and unwelcome, I do apologize, my intent was just to try and help out- I am new at all this.