American Citizen Born Abroad

+2 votes

In the 1940 census for my great grandmother it has Citizenship: American Citizen Born Abroad. I have only seen this in hers so far and no one else's. How do I find out where she was born, if not in the United States. Her death certificate states she was born in Ohio. The only information I have about her father is his name is Samuel and possibly born in Ohio and her mother was supposedly from Virginia. I have been pounding at this brickwall for years and it just won't budge.

WikiTree profile: Anna Ernst
in Genealogy Help by Dallace Moore G2G6 Pilot (126k points)
Looks like you’ve not yet been able to find likely candidates for Anna and/or potential father Samuel Miller in an 1880 Ohio census?
Nope sure haven't. I'm thinking everything got lost in the 1913 flood.

Per Anna's death record, she was born in Johnsville, Ohio. The profile identifies her birth place as Johnsville, Morrow County, Ohio. But there also appears to be a Johnsville, Montgomery County, Ohio, which is a lot closer to her census residences. It appears to be on the border of Jackson and Perry Twps in Montgomery County (her 1900 residence was in Perry Twp, Montgomery County). If you haven't already, you might want to search for potential candidates in the 1880 census in that area (it appears that many, if not all, of the 1880 US census records for Ohio were unaffected by the 1913 flood).

Well I'll be, I sure did not know there was two Johnsville. Morrow County is what I found when I searched. I sure was looking in the wrong place. Thanks for this information. I probably came across them and didn't realize it. I appreciate your help.
Glad to help - happy hunting!

2 Answers

+4 votes
I don't see where it says that on the 1940 Census. What am I missing?

All her other records say she consistently say she was born in Ohio.
by Thomas Fuller G2G6 Mach 8 (85.3k points)

My apologies I guess it only shows on Ancestry. 

Name:Annie Earnest


Birth Year:abt 1877




Marital Status:Widowed

Relation to Head of House:Head

Home in 1940:Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio

Map of Home in 1940:View Map

Street:Caroline Street

House Number:18

Inferred Residence in 1935:Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio

Residence in 1935:Same House

Citizenship:American Citizen Born Abroad

Sheet Number:15B

Number of Household in Order of Visitation:31

House Owned or Rented:Rented

Attended School or College:No

Highest Grade Completed:Elementary school, 6th grade


Household Members:

Name Age
Annie Earnest 63
John Henery Earnest 27
The FS image doesn’t reflect that for citizenship so maybe bad transcription by Ancestry transcriber?

ok thanks. yes

What Rick said.  The image gives no indication she was born anywhere but Ohio.

Almost every record on the page has that same notation (open the index at the bottom of the Ancestry image).  Absolutely a transcription problem.

cheekycool Its all good. 

I don’t think Herbert was questioning your ability to read all the census records that you’ve included as sources (very nice job of sourcing the profile, BTW!). I think he was just trying to say that all the other surrounding neighbors on the 1940 census have the same “abroad” citizenship, which might indicate transcription errors.
Dallace, I don't think you understood my comment.  I referred only to the data on the single 1940 census page, as shown on Ancestry, not "every page."  Except for the naturalized citizens, every person on that census page shows as 'American Citizen Born Abroad,' right next to where it says they were born in Ohio.  In your question you said, "I have only seen this in hers so far and no one else's."  By "I added them," do you mean to say you corrected the Ancestry records to make them all say that?  Regardless, I was only trying to help by confirming it as an Ancestry error, and I don't think I gave any cause for your tone.

ETA Thank you, Rick.
Clearly a transcription error.

Oh no tone Herbert believe me. I apologize if it came off that way. I do appreciate your help, I just misread things is all. really I meant nothing by my comment at all.heart

+1 vote
You need too contact this address.Consular,Officer,

U.S. Department of State. 1111 19th St. North West Suite 510.

You will need too buy Form  FS240 and DS1350.Washington D.C. 20524.I

recently a real tough one British Citizens had 2 children in USA while they

were her for a few years.British Consulate .could not help.

Related questions

+3 votes
1 answer
104 views asked Jul 22 in Genealogy Help by Marryann Cormier G2G1 (1.4k points)
+6 votes
2 answers
+5 votes
6 answers
203 views asked Jan 5 in Genealogy Help by Lisa Murphy G2G6 Pilot (203k points)
+3 votes
1 answer
178 views asked Oct 9, 2021 in Genealogy Help by Lisa Murphy G2G6 Pilot (203k points)
+3 votes
0 answers
+3 votes
0 answers
109 views asked Oct 26, 2020 in Genealogy Help by Stephanie Stults G2G6 Mach 3 (38.5k points)
+3 votes
1 answer
192 views asked Oct 15, 2020 in Genealogy Help by Andy Lear G2G6 Mach 1 (11.6k points)
+2 votes
2 answers
52 views asked Oct 15, 2020 in Genealogy Help by Leilani Atkins G2G6 Mach 1 (14.4k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright