I'm trying to find an Egardy in Switzerland that immigrated to the states and changed the family name to Eckerty.

0 votes
in Genealogy Help by Living Belcher G2G6 (7.9k points)
retagged by Chris Whitten

2 Answers

+1 vote

Richard -

I found some census information for a John Eckerty b.1813 in Switzerland.  It is from the 1880 census.  (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/Census/individual_record.asp?indi_code=1880US_6114631_0&lds=5&region=0&regionfriendly=1880+US+Census&frompage=99)

If you look on the page at http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ancestorsearchresults.asp?last_name=Eckerty you will see some international records that also give a death date of 1896 and list a spouse named Mary.  It appears that the info is from LDS archives.  You may be able to glean some info from the entries on the site to possibly aid in your search.  This only took about 5 minutes to find.

by Allen Minix G2G6 Mach 1 (18.3k points)
0 votes
Actually I've seen that. In fact i even know approximately where they are buried. I just can't find anything on the family before they immigrated because they changed or their name was changed. The information the family has (my grandmother was an Eckerty) is that his name was originally Johannes Egardy or Jean Egardy, but that could very well be incorrect also.
by Living Belcher G2G6 (7.9k points)

Related questions

+1 vote
1 answer
61 views asked Oct 11, 2023 in The Tree House by Rich Froisness G2G Rookie (150 points)
+4 votes
3 answers
434 views asked Jun 21, 2015 in The Tree House by Living Belcher G2G6 (7.9k points)
+3 votes
1 answer
+25 votes
17 answers

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright