Need to merge two profiles where the higher number has correct name

+6 votes
I was looking at my unconnected profile list when I saw a name that sounded familiar.  It was Lea-563.  I did a search on the name and found the same name but spelled Lee.  That profile was Lee-3155.  Both profiles are mine.  My first thought was to simply merge them but I quickly realized the end profile would be Lea-563.  This is incorrect.  The correct spelling of the name is Lee.

The Profile Lea-563 is pretty much empty.  She just has a date and place of birth and a date and place of death.  The profile Lee-3155 is much more complete with the same dates and places, plus siblings, spouse and children.  In addition it has some biography.

My question is how do I merge high number to low but retain the name on the high number?  The ideal end result would be Lee-563.  NO, the ideal result would be to just delete Lea-563 but I realize that would be impossible.  

It's going to take a long time to go through all of the siblings and children to change Lee-3155 to whatever I end up with.  I wish I had never looked at that **** list!
WikiTree profile: Martha Cannon
asked in WikiTree Help by Judy Wardlow G2G6 Mach 1 (18.8k points)
merging is how we "delete"
Funny man.  That's not what I meant.  If I could simply delete I wouldn't have the problem of the Lee/Lea surnames.

not really trying to be funny here (nor insulting)... most people want to actually delete, not realizing there are different meanings for that word.

you mentioned..."the ideal result would be to just delete...", so I just wanted to make sure you understood the differences

Thank you, Dennis.

3 Answers

+16 votes
Best answer
When you go to merge two profiles with different names,  Read the boxes at the top (the orange ones with the white writing) One of them asks if so and so is the correct LNAB if not reverse the merge with a click on link to do just that.

So decide which is the correct Last name at birth, and merge into that, ignore the lowest number (that's for profiles with the same spelling)

You can also in the merge and match page put the one you want to merge away into the top  box, put the one you want to keep in the lower box.

You will also have to type in some kind of explanation, before it will merge
answered by Anne B G2G6 Pilot (990k points)
selected by Judy Wardlow
Didn't know this either.  I will try this right now.
Worked perfectly.  I put in a short explanation and then proceeded.  I can't believe I've been a member of WikiTree all these years and did not know this.  Blessings on your house!
I spend a lot of time doing merges (not mine) so have learned a lot of tricks.

Blessings are always welcomet. Thanks Judy and bless you back.
+5 votes
What you are looking for is the lowest number in the correct last name at birth.

If you change the last name for Lea, it will create a new Lee # that is even higher than your Lee 3155.

Just merge Lea into Lee and pick and choose the best dates & data.
answered by SJ Baty G2G6 Pilot (294k points)
+11 votes

When the name spelling is different... the higher/lower numbers are irrelevant (because the names are not the same)

merge the incorrect name into the correct name, regardless of number.

answered by Dennis Wheeler G2G6 Pilot (388k points)
Didn't know this.

Related questions

+2 votes
0 answers
+4 votes
4 answers
+2 votes
2 answers
81 views asked Dec 7, 2018 in Genealogy Help by Rita Davis
+2 votes
1 answer
29 views asked Jun 17, 2017 in Genealogy Help by Ben Slater G2G Rookie (180 points)
+2 votes
2 answers
+3 votes
1 answer
80 views asked Oct 24, 2014 in Genealogy Help by anonymous
+5 votes
3 answers
123 views asked Jun 28, 2017 in WikiTree Tech by Carolyn Rowell G2G2 (3k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright