Data Doctoring isn't quite on the level of severity as rewriting the profile, merging, or linking to relatives. I'm sure as long as you "explain your changes" everything will be fine in 99.4% of the cases. That remaining 0.6% wouldn't matter if you had a hand written permission slip from the deceased person themselves.
The current challenge isn't to merge profiles, it is to clean up the mess when profiles got merged in the past, the data was slammed together, and then left without combining it. So if you see 3 profiles in 1 and all 3 have the same link to a marriage license, feel free to delete 2 duplicate links. The goal is to arrange the data and clean up the duplicates, not to get rid of data. So bio to bio, sources to sources, etc.
I often add ==Acknowlegments== at the bottom for things like "this profile was created by xxxxxxxx on dddddd by **********.
Now if the profile is part of a PROJECT and has their tag on it, that might be a different story.